The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Tennessee vs Auburn crash (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90478-tennessee-vs-auburn-crash.html)

EsqUmp Mon Apr 09, 2012 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by azbigdawg (Post 836489)
I sincerely doubt there was much confusion as to whether she was ejected or not. The collision speaks for itself.

A collision does not speak for itself. An ejection mechanic is required whether you like it or not. That's like saying that if a runner is out by 10 feet, we don't signal out because the ball in the glove well before the runner arrived spoke for itself. Ejections are not as common and it was not that clear cut here.

EsqUmp Mon Apr 09, 2012 05:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 836543)
The ejection mechanic is not meant to show up a player. I don't give a damn if it's college. The umpire could very well have said "you're gone" very discreetly along with the non-approved-yet-we-all-know-what-it-meant signal. Then go to the coach, say "Hey, #X is gone. That collision was flagrant coach, and she's ejected." No need for excessive whatever. While there is no need for clones/robots, there's no need for Jocko Conlon.

So you not only want to ignore a specific mechanic, but also a POE? :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you actually knew what the NCAA Softball Umpire Manual said you wouldn't find it so offensive. But clearly you don't know what it says, so I will fill you in:

"It is imperative when making this signal that no aggressive move or gesture, real or perceived, is made toward the person being ejected. The signal should be MODERATELY ANIMATED after increasing the physical distance between the umpire and the ejected person as needed. The degree of animation is dictated by the situation. This signal does NOT have to be exact, but it must be CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD that someone has been ejected."

"Partners in particular, but also other players and fans, must know when an umpire has ejected someone."

tcannizzo Mon Apr 09, 2012 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferMC (Post 836493)
Must be a second Michelle Smith.

Ammended to say that she had a pretty good game. :o

bkbjones Mon Apr 09, 2012 05:23pm

Obviously, you do not know me. Just as obviously, your are one tremendously pretentious, um, person. And, yes, I do know what it says because someone took pity on me and sent me the manual. (Just because I am no longer physically capable of being on the field doesn't mean I don't care.) I saw the play in question and saw how it was handled, and I do not have a problem with it.

Neither should you.

EsqUmp Mon Apr 09, 2012 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 836573)
Obviously, you do not know me. Just as obviously, your are one tremendously pretentious, um, person. And, yes, I do know what it says because someone took pity on me and sent me the manual. (Just because I am no longer physically capable of being on the field doesn't mean I don't care.) I saw the play in question and saw how it was handled, and I do not have a problem with it.

Neither should you.

The issue isn't whether we are getting on the umpire. The discussion is whether it could be handled better in the future and more by the book.

You clearly must know the mechanics, since you do have the manual, you just don't think it's so necessary to use them.

bkbjones Mon Apr 09, 2012 07:03pm

Geeeeeeezus. Are you serious? Of course mechanics should be used.

I also know there is rulebook/manual right, ballpark wrong.

This is what I get for crawling out of the ol' deathbed. I can;t get this board on my Android. I think I regret getting on here. Bye.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 09, 2012 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 836568)
"It is imperative when making this signal that no aggressive move or gesture, real or perceived, is made toward the person being ejected. The signal <S style="text-line-through: double">should</S> (may) be MODERATELY ANIMATED after increasing the physical distance between the umpire and the ejected person as needed. The degree of animation is dictated by the situation. This signal does NOT have to be exact, but it must be CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD that someone has been ejected."

<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

That seems appropriate and, IMO, where it should end.
<O:p
Quote:

"Partners in particular, but also other players and fans, must know when an umpire has ejected someone."

<O:p</O:pWhy? Does the NCAA see a need to embarrass someone more than the ejection has already? Do they deserve it? Maybe, but I'd rather just move on with the game.

The players already know or is it really that important to make sure the outfielders are aware; other than the PU, my partner doesn't really have an immediate need to know; and why would the fans need to know that prior to an announcement?

To me, this is overkill. Just don't see the need for it.

Steve M Mon Apr 09, 2012 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 836585)

This is what I get for crawling out of the ol' deathbed. I can;t get this board on my Android. I think I regret getting on here. Bye.

John,
You ucking idiot. Now that you're back here, don't you dare leave again.

BretMan Mon Apr 09, 2012 08:36pm

But giving the old full wind-up over-the-head roundhouse heave-ho is just so much damn...fun! ;)

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 09, 2012 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 836600)
John,
You ucking idiot. Now that you're back here, don't you dare leave again.

Steve, can't you see he got the f out of here?

azbigdawg Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by EsqUmp (Post 836566)
A collision does not speak for itself. An ejection mechanic is required whether you like it or not. That's like saying that if a runner is out by 10 feet, we don't signal out because the ball in the glove well before the runner arrived spoke for itself. Ejections are not as common and it was not that clear cut here.

I would totally disagree. Hell, I showed it to non softball peopele and they knew what the heck happened.

no need to be overly demonstrative there....

bkbjones Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 836609)

Damn I miss most of you guys. Thank you for making me laugh Mike.

okla21fan Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 836609)

and he used the 'required' mechanic too!

MD Longhorn Tue Apr 10, 2012 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 836585)

Welcome back, and don't leave on account of someone that most of us have blocked...

EsqUmp Tue Apr 10, 2012 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by okla21fan (Post 836620)
and he used the 'required' mechanic too!

I must have missed it...