The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 02:11pm
sp279

Ok...but it was an appeal play and the home ump had no idea...

Go ahead and hit me with a tire jack....simple pitch, catch mishandles it and ball rools into the batter's feet to where the catcher can't get to the ball right away cause it's tangled up in the batter. Girl from first is stealing second so no play can be made. I'm working the bases and the head coach of the defensive team appeals to the home umpire who caled me over. He asked if I saw the batter and catcher tangled up; it was obvious they were.
I told him it was obstruction on the batter for not clearing out of the way. The batter didn't kick the ball or do anything other than just stand there.
In the NFHS rulebook it says the batter should be out, runner returned to first. I looked the case law book and it said "A batter is never out for obstruction". I'm missing something.
Can someone send a clear answer, the rule, and what applies. I know this will come up next meeting. Please email to [email protected] as I am on here only so often. Thanks.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp279 View Post
Go ahead and hit me with a tire jack....simple pitch, catch mishandles it and ball rools into the batter's feet to where the catcher can't get to the ball right away cause it's tangled up in the batter. Girl from first is stealing second so no play can be made. I'm working the bases and the head coach of the defensive team appeals to the home umpire who caled me over. He asked if I saw the batter and catcher tangled up; it was obvious they were.
I told him it was obstruction on the batter for not clearing out of the way. The batter didn't kick the ball or do anything other than just stand there.
In the NFHS rulebook it says the batter should be out, runner returned to first. I looked the case law book and it said "A batter is never out for obstruction". I'm missing something.
Can someone send a clear answer, the rule, and what applies. I know this will come up next meeting. Please email to [email protected] as I am on here only so often. Thanks.
I will not use my real email for someone I do not know, so I hope you return to read this.

Too confused, with incorrect teminology for a clear answer.
Offense (e.g., batters, runners) do not obstruct, but can interfere.
Where did you find "A batter is never out for obstruction" in the case book?

If the batter just stood in place, did nothing actively to prevent the catcher getting the ball, probably no call; but the question is lacking in detail.

We all know it is not an appeal in the rule definitions, but the general dictionary allows this usage.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp279 View Post
...I looked the case law book and it said "A batter is never out for obstruction"...
I don't know where you found that, but in fact no offensive player is EVER out for committing obstruction. Because an offensive player cannot commit obstruction.

The batter might be out for interference, but unless the batter did something active to actually interfere, I don't have interference. The catcher dropping the pitch and chasing it into the batter who is just standing there in the batter's box is not interference.