View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 02:11pm
sp279

Ok...but it was an appeal play and the home ump had no idea...

Go ahead and hit me with a tire jack....simple pitch, catch mishandles it and ball rools into the batter's feet to where the catcher can't get to the ball right away cause it's tangled up in the batter. Girl from first is stealing second so no play can be made. I'm working the bases and the head coach of the defensive team appeals to the home umpire who caled me over. He asked if I saw the batter and catcher tangled up; it was obvious they were.
I told him it was obstruction on the batter for not clearing out of the way. The batter didn't kick the ball or do anything other than just stand there.
In the NFHS rulebook it says the batter should be out, runner returned to first. I looked the case law book and it said "A batter is never out for obstruction". I'm missing something.
Can someone send a clear answer, the rule, and what applies. I know this will come up next meeting. Please email to [email protected] as I am on here only so often. Thanks.