The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

"clockwise"

NFHS rule 6-1-4: "The pitcher may use any windup desired provided:...d. the pitcher does not make more than 1 1/2 clockwise revolutions of the arm in the windmill pitch..." Can somebody please explain this "clockwise" direction?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65 View Post
NFHS rule 6-1-4: "The pitcher may use any windup desired provided:...d. the pitcher does not make more than 1 1/2 clockwise revolutions of the arm in the windmill pitch..." Can somebody please explain this "clockwise" direction?
I always found that funny too. Given that the pitcher is standing up in the middle, clockwise means one thing to F3 and the visitors, and the opposite to F5 and the home team.

What it means is, the arm cannot make more than 1 1/2 revolutions in the direction you and I would normally associate with a pitch (clockwise if you're the first baseman; counter-clockwise if you're the 3rd baseman ... or from the pitchers POV, clockwise if you're right handed and counter if you're left handed.)

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

clockwise depends on the hemisphere.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

So, using Figure 24 on Page 48 of the NFHS "2012 and 2013 Softball Umpires Manual" (three-umpire system - B1 behind 1st base, B3 behind 3rd base), it is a legal pitch if I am umpire B1 (clockwise) but I should call an illegal pitch if I'm umpire B3 (counter-clockwise)? Unless I'm in the southern hemisphere?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65 View Post
So, using Figure 24 on Page 48 of the NFHS "2012 and 2013 Softball Umpires Manual" (three-umpire system - B1 behind 1st base, B3 behind 3rd base), it is a legal pitch if I am umpire B1 (clockwise) but I should call an illegal pitch if I'm umpire B3 (counter-clockwise)? Unless I'm in the southern hemisphere?
You got it!