Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Stops to avoid a collision. Who cares about why ... if she would not have stopped, would she have collided? If so, then she stopped to avoid a collision.

TO doesn't have to mean, "because she wanted to..."
TO can mean "in order to"
I think you missed my point. The assumption was that she stopped to avoid a collision. However it is possible that she merely stopped to field the ball and there would not have been a collision. Assuming what might happen is often different that what actually does happen. Hence my assertion that she was not interfered with - she made the play.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

I had this a couple hours ago.

Bases loaded, bounding ball to SS who started to step up, stopped TO FIELD THE BALL, R2 runs in front leaping over the ball which kicked off the heel of her glove. I had to take a step to the left to get a view between the two. No contact with the ball, no contact with the fielder so I had no call.

Coach disagreed and told me it HAD to be INT. Told the coach what I saw. Apparently, she saw something different, so I asked if she would like me to check with my partner. He was even more adament that there was not contact than I.

Coach didn't like it and surprisingly didn't have a problem with our explanation, just disagreed with it.