The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Batter Passing Obstructed Runner

Please answer for ASA.

I don't have my ASA book handy - what is the ruling in the the following scenario:

R1 is on 1B with no outs. B2 hits a gapper to right field. R1 is obstructed by the 2nd base person and is knocked to the ground. B2 passes the R1 between 1B 2B.

In ASA, is B2 out?

NFHS and NCAA have the same basic ruling:

NCAA:
12-9-3 When she physically passes (that is, completely overtakes) a preceding base runner before that base runner has been put out, unless the passed base runner was obstructed.

NFHS:
ART. 4 . . . The runner physically passes a preceding runner before that runner has been put out. If this was the third out of the inning, any runs scoring prior to the out for passing a preceding runner would count. A runner(s) passing a preceding obstructed runner, as in 8-4-3b Penalty c, is not out.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Mar 08, 2012, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Please answer for ASA.

I don't have my ASA book handy - what is the ruling in the the following scenario:

R1 is on 1B with no outs. B2 hits a gapper to right field. R1 is obstructed by the 2nd base person and is knocked to the ground. B2 passes the R1 between 1B 2B.

In ASA, is B2 out?
Initial answer is yes, but you need to finish the scenario for a final answer.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

I think what Irish is getting to is in ASA there is no exception for a runner being allowed to pass an obstructed runner. So B2 would be out when they pass R1, but then would be awarded the base they would have obtained had there not be obstruction. As the rule states, the obstructed runner and all other runners are awarded the base(s) they would have obtained had there not been obstruction. So in this case the out is basically removed by the obstruction.

So proper mechanics for this play would be signal delayed dead ball when the obstruction of R1 occurs, signal an out when B2 passes R1 (live ball out), then signal dead ball when the obstructed runner is put out, or all play is completed. Once the ball is dead, award all runners the bases they would have obtained had there been no obstruction. Probably not enough detail to judge this, but I will assume R1 at least to 3rd and B2 at 2nd (at least) from the way I read B2 passing R1 on their way to 2B.