The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

DP / Flex strategy

Hi All - need some help. Have a pitcher who coach does not want to play on offense at all. So he flex's her. So a couple of questions on how to do this so that he can re-use this pitcher after she has left the mound.

Q1: If Flex, who is the starting pitcher, leaves the game by having DP play defense for Flex, can she re-enter as the pitcher?

Q2: If pitcher is Flex, then substituted for, she has 1 re-entry. Can she reenter as pitcher?

Thanks in advance!
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprivitor View Post
Hi All - need some help. Have a pitcher who coach does not want to play on offense at all. So he flex's her. So a couple of questions on how to do this so that he can re-use this pitcher after she has left the mound.
Here is the obligatory, "if there is a mound, you are on the wrong field" snippet
Quote:
Q1: If Flex, who is the starting pitcher, leaves the game by having DP play defense for Flex, can she re-enter as the pitcher?
Unless she had been removed from that position by rule, yes.

Quote:

Q2: If pitcher is Flex, then substituted for, she has 1 re-entry. Can she reenter as pitcher?
Same as above.

Substitutes deal with offensive position ONLY. And unless, as noted above, the pitcher has been removed by rule or it is a co-ed game, there are zero restrictions on what defensive position a player takes.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 06:55am.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Q1 4-3E - considered a substitution, rules specifys that it applies to any Defensive position

Q2 4-3G

so answer to both is yes

And has anyone here ever seen the situation covered in 'E'? IMHO, to me, that is ASA over complicating it...but thats just me!
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Here is the obligatory, "if there is a mound, you are on the wrong field" snippet
Yet another snide comment to a person who doesn't regularly post. Really not necessary. Doesn't add anything to the conversation. You should really get over yourself.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprivitor View Post
She can re-enter to pitch and can do so by one of two options:

1. She can re-enter into the Flex position, and the DP or some other player in the 1 - 9 lineup will now play offense only; or

2. The DP can be removed from the lineup and the Flex will assume both defensive and offensive roles (though I understand your post to clearly state that the team doesn't want her to play offense also).

In codes that require the reporting of defensive changes, the coach must articulate how he/she is making the change.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Not So

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Speaking ASA
Substitutes deal with offensive position ONLY. And unless, as noted above, the pitcher has been removed by rule or it is a co-ed game, there are zero restrictions on what defensive position a player takes.
If a coach changes F3 with a player on the bench who has not been in the game, this is a substitution and it better be reported otherwise it is an unreported substitute.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Yet another snide comment to a person who doesn't regularly post. Really not necessary. Doesn't add anything to the conversation. You should really get over yourself.
Pot calls kettle black!

The plot thickens
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
If a coach changes F3 with a player on the bench who has not been in the game, this is a substitution and it better be reported otherwise it is an unreported substitute.
That's correct, but what will the coach report, and how will you record that?

Via the line-up card, or batting order, thus offense! After the entry F3 can become F whatever, but she can only be the B# she was entered for.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

its called the power button. theres one on every computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Hey guys, a little help here. This post breaks it, but I can't seem to find the freaking ignore functionality - did it move?
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
This forum has room for a little humor and ribbing of newbies along with vets, and it wasn't in a separate post, the rest was a contribution.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

So what are you going to do when...

[QUOTE=JEL;830408]That's correct, but what will the coach report, and how will you record that?

Via the line-up card, or batting order, thus offense! After the entry F3 can become F whatever, but she can only be the B# she was entered for.[/QUOTE

So what are you going to do when the coach wants to replace the pitcher? You definitely want to know who is playing F1 and F2. Yes you record it on the line-up card but you still do so when the team is on defense. You also have rules governing unreported DEFENSIVE substitutions that you will have to rule on but you wont be able to if you don't keep track of these subs. Yes, you track them on the lineup card, but it is still a defensive substitution.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought that the fact that the statement was preceded by the self deprecating remark
Quote:
it was inserted with the proper amount of humor and I found it slightly amusing.
FWIW: I did not feel the "snideness".
And remember it IS a valid statement - just many people who are baseball centric don't realize that. Perhaps the light hearted comment increased the poster's awareness...

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 11:45am.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Hey guys, a little help here. This post breaks it, but I can't seem to find the freaking ignore functionality - did it move?
For anyone else hunting for it, it's under the UserCP button in the top menu. Today was when I reached my limit, too.

Last edited by JefferMC; Wed Mar 07, 2012 at 12:11pm.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Yes, I'm well aware of that. NEVER stated that a sub need not report.

The change is for the player in F3's position on the line up card. Where they play on defense, unless restricted by rule, is irrelevant.
Old Wed Mar 07, 2012, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=rwest;830464]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
That's correct, but what will the coach report, and how will you record that?

Via the line-up card, or batting order, thus offense! After the entry F3 can become F whatever, but she can only be the B# she was entered for.[/QUOTE

So what are you going to do when the coach wants to replace the pitcher? You definitely want to know who is playing F1 and F2. Yes you record it on the line-up card but you still do so when the team is on defense. You also have rules governing unreported DEFENSIVE substitutions that you will have to rule on but you wont be able to if you don't keep track of these subs. Yes, you track them on the lineup card, but it is still a defensive substitution.
I will let him replace whichever defensive player he wants! He needs to tell me only where that player will bat, not which defensive position they will play.

Yes, I do want to know who was the last F1 and F2 for CR, and also for a couple other reasons for F1 only, but there is no requirement for the coach to tell you that.

I know you understand it, I just wasn't sure you understood Mikes first reply.