The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Saw a trick play in a very normal situation last week that has raised a couple of questions in my mind. Here's the normal part of the play --

A1 scores and then sets up for a tight press. B1 grabs the ball as it falls through the basket, and then stands facing the endline and waits for B2 to step oob, then passes the ball to B2. B2 doesn't step out, until she's sure everything is the way it needs to be. She stands facing the rest of the floor with her feet just inside the baseline, watching to see where the other players were. Then she finally stepped out, and quickly received and passed the ball.

The first time I saw this, I figured they were just disorganized, because it didn't take very long to run through the process. But then I saw it again, and it took a little longer than that first time. They used it a couple or three more times in the game.

Obviously, my partner and I both started counting as soon as it was apparent that B1 had the ball, in other words, right away. They never complained about the count so it appeared that their play wasn't to buy time. I think it must have just been a way to trick the defense a little.

Here are my questions: First, is it legal?

What rights does B1 have while she is holding the ball? Could a defender legally steal the ball, if it didn't involve any body contact? Could B1 be fouled?

Could a defender intercept the ball while it is in the air on the pass from B1 to B2?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

What rights does B1 have while she is holding the ball? Could a defender legally steal the ball, if it didn't involve any body contact? Could B1 be fouled?

Could a defender intercept the ball while it is in the air on the pass from B1 to B2?
Yes

Team B has the rght to consume 5 seconds until the ball is inbounded. Since B1 is part of team B she has that right as well.

No

Yes

No
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 07:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Could B1 be fouled?

Yes

What would the foul be?

Not you-- newer or other posters.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Could B1 be fouled?

Yes

What would the foul be?

Not you-- newer or other posters.
F@ck off then...I'm gonna go get a donut...
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:

Yes

Team B has the rght to consume 5 seconds until the ball is inbounded. Since B1 is part of team B she has that right as well.

No

Yes

No
I didn't number my questions, so I'm interpolating to see which answers go to which questions. (I think I'm interpolating, not extrapolating -- trigonometry was 35 years ago!). So I think you answer "Yes" to the question, "Could B1 be fouled?" Would it just be a personal foul? Could B1 commit a foul? Would it be PC?

If the defense did interfere with the pass to oob, would it be a Delay of Game Warning for interfering with making the ball promptly live? Somehow that doesn't sound right.

While B1 is standing inbounds holding the ball, is the ball live? Is there team control?

This seems like a pretty smart maneuver. Why haven't more teams done it already?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry. JR wants me to keep my mouth shut...so I will, except to stuff this donut into it....mmmmmmmm...donuts....
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
So I think you answer "Yes" to the question, "Could B1 be fouled?" Would it just be a personal foul? Could B1 commit a foul? Would it be PC?

While B1 is standing inbounds holding the ball, is the ball live? Is there team control?

[/B][/QUOTE]Do you always answer questions with questions?

Wimmen!
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sorry. JR wants me to keep my mouth shut...so I will, except to stuff this donut into it....mmmmmmmm...donuts....
Well, you won't be able to get your donuts at the Motherlode Coffee house anymore.

Even if you flew up there......

It's a sad, sad day......
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

What kind of donuts? Since I can't get back fast enough for a layup. I need a few extra donuts glued to my ***...... What kind? Bismarks?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You mean there is no povaticia in your household?
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
So I think you answer "Yes" to the question, "Could B1 be fouled?" Would it just be a personal foul? Could B1 commit a foul? Would it be PC?

[/B]
Do you always answer questions with questions?

Wimmen! [/B][/QUOTE]

It has been over 4 hours since Rainmakers last questions and no replies.

Has Rainmaker gone to bed?
Can Rainmaker bring her commpadres who have digressed away from the straight and narrow back to sanity?
Has Rainmaker lost her sanity?
Has Rainmaker lost her patience?

Holy Toledo Rainmaker, what are we gonna do?

These and other questions will have to be answered.

Stay tuned but first: let us celebrate our partaking of donuts by the adding of chocolate to milk.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Okay, I'm not feeling well this morning so that might be the reason..., but I don't understand the stategy behind this? What is the real or perceived benefit to doing things this way?

If the count is starting when B1 has the ball, even if they're not OOB (and it should), what's the benefit? Their 5 seconds is ticking. They eventually take the ball OOB and complete a throw in. I don't understand the "trickery" part or the benefit. Unusual...yes, but a benefit I don't get. They have 5 seconds for everyone to "set up" once they have control whether they are in bounds our out.

Once B1 is holding the ball it's a live ball, as it is at the disposal of the thrower. (Yes, I know B1 actually passes the ball to B2, so B2 is the thrower. But once someone on B has control of the ball it is at their disposal.)

If it's illegal contact while the ball is live, I'd say it's a pesonal foul. (Of course, you could have an intentional or flagrant or...)

And I would say you call all delaying action by the defense that may occur; i.e. hitting the ball away as B1 passes to B2 - while they are both in bounds.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
Quote:
Quote:

Do you always answer questions with questions?

Wimmen! [/B]
It has been over 4 hours since Rainmakers last questions and no replies.

Has Rainmaker gone to bed?
Can Rainmaker bring her commpadres who have digressed away from the straight and narrow back to sanity?
Has Rainmaker lost her sanity?
Has Rainmaker lost her patience?

Holy Toledo Rainmaker, what are we gonna do?

These and other questions will have to be answered.

Stay tuned but first: let us celebrate our partaking of donuts by the adding of chocolate to milk.
[/B][/QUOTE]

This sounds like the beginning (or was it the end) of a SOAP episode. IMHO the funniest show ever on TV.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

OK.....only becuz I watch alot of Crime Shows(CSI, Monk, The Shield), I'll help out.

I'm alot like Monk. After administering a Free Throw...I always call for a "WIPE".

This is exactly what it looks like. Something stupid. The Coach who dreamed this up, mistakenly thinks that the 5-second count won't begin until B1 passes it to B2 who is OOB.

There can be no logical advantage gained for Team B breaking a press by having B1 look into the stands while the 5-sec count is ongoing.

"Sharona! Wipe!"
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 11:13am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
[/B]
This sounds like the beginning (or was it the end) of a SOAP episode. IMHO the funniest show ever on TV. [/B][/QUOTE]Yup, SOAP certainly was one of the all-time good 'uns.