The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you time limits

HS association allowed the umpires this year to ask the coaches of Frosh and JV games if they would be willing to use an 1:45 no new inning time limit.

Frosh game, first inning visitors score 1, home 5. Looks like its going to be an OK game. Famous last words. Home pitcher cant get within 4' of the plate the 2nd inning, visitors score 16. Visiting pitcher suddenly cant find plate either, home scores 6. 3rd inning I tell both coaches the strike zone is going to get GIGANTIC, pitchers still cant find plate, visitors score another 7 runs, home 5. Final 23-16, 3 inning, total time 1:55. Id have been there another 2 hours or more to finish the game.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
HS association allowed the umpires this year to ask the coaches of Frosh and JV games if they would be willing to use an 1:45 no new inning time limit.

Frosh game, first inning visitors score 1, home 5. Looks like its going to be an OK game. Famous last words. Home pitcher cant get within 4' of the plate the 2nd inning, visitors score 16. Visiting pitcher suddenly cant find plate either, home scores 6. 3rd inning I tell both coaches the strike zone is going to get GIGANTIC, pitchers still cant find plate, visitors score another 7 runs, home 5. Final 23-16, 3 inning, total time 1:55. Id have been there another 2 hours or more to finish the game.
Sounds like the plate ump is to blame for this fiasco.... just sayin....

Last edited by azbigdawg; Mon Mar 05, 2012 at 10:55pm.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Darrell, I was doing everything I could to call strikes. Just couldnt bring myself to call balls rolling over the plate, going 5' over the batters head, behind the batter or outside the other batters box. I told the coaches I was going to call the top of their heads to their ankles and middle of box to middle of box, and they still couldnt find the zone.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Darrell, I was doing everything I could to call strikes. Just couldnt bring myself to call balls rolling over the plate, going 5' over the batters head, behind the batter or outside the other batters box. I told the coaches I was going to call the top of their heads to their ankles and middle of box to middle of box, and they still couldnt find the zone.
I'm surprised you didn't realize how dark it was getting about the third inning
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm surprised you didn't realize how dark it was getting about the third inning
Unfortunately it was a 3:45 start time so it was still plenty bright when time finally expired. I kept hoping a thunder storm or huge wind storm would blow in out of nowhere.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately it was a 3:45 start time so it was still plenty bright when time finally expired.
Wouldn't that be a judgment call?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Wouldn't that be a judgment call?
You do have a point there. I will remember that for next time.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wow! The time limits around these parts for those same games are 1:15.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Wow! The time limits around these parts for those same games are 1:15.
I wish. We were still in the top of the 2nd inning when 1:15 ran out.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

We got time limits and run limits for JV games in our neak of the woods. 5 runs an inning, 1:45 time limit.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2012, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
We got time limits and run limits for JV games in our neak of the woods. 5 runs an inning, 1:45 time limit.
We usually have the 5 runs per half inning around here as well. Left up to the coaches to decide that one, and most usually go for it.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Mar 10, 2012, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

I've told my assignor that I do not mind JV games that are followed by a Varsity contest just for that reason. I get to work a game and be home early. I do not want to do double headers anymore. Also down here we now have a 15 run/3 inning mercy rule. I love that. Having so many lop sided games here, that rule makes it bearable. Dragging out long one sided games does no one any good: players, umpires, or fans.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
I've told my assignor that I do not mind JV games that are followed by a Varsity contest just for that reason. I get to work a game and be home early. I do not want to do double headers anymore. Also down here we now have a 15 run/3 inning mercy rule. I love that. Having so many lop sided games here, that rule makes it bearable. Dragging out long one sided games does no one any good: players, umpires, or fans.
It took us two years to push the "15-after-3" run rule through the FHSAA bureaucracy, but it was worth it!
Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
It took us two years to push the "15-after-3" run rule through the FHSAA bureaucracy, but it was worth it!
Can I get an.................
....AMEN

Old Mon Mar 12, 2012, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Some aspects of the FHSAA are good, but they seem all to resistant to some changes that are needed. Still talking softball, the 15 run/3 inning rule was a long time coming. The Nobel Prize to those who fought for it. Next up, I'd like to see the tie breaker rule used. Another Nobel Prize to those who can get that passed.