The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

How do you handle this situation? As the BU the first base coach ask you to move the second baseman out of the baseline? Is it our job to move the defense?
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

JMHO, I don't believe that it is our job to move the defense. I would tell the base coach that F4 isn't doing any illegal. I would probably tell them that I would be watching more closely for obstruction due to the position of the fielder and not to worry for the men in blue are out in force... well... maybe not that last part.

Old Sat May 31, 2003, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

I would not move F4 either. I would tell the base coach that F4 can play where he wants to, but I would be more alert for obstruction. If F4 was making it a habit to always play in the baseline, I would drop a hint to her coach in between innings.
Old Sat May 31, 2003, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely not. We are not coaches. I am guessing that this probably happened during a youth game. That is where you usually hear this kind of a request. As the previous posters have noted, about all you can do is keep a vigilant eye out for obstruction, and if it does occur, I guarantee that the defensive coach will probably reposition the player.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2003, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I've had this at all levels.

I tell the coach I don't care where F4 is playing, as long as it is in fair territory.

If the continues the complaint,I simply ask him what rule to which he is referring. That ends the conversation, except for one guy who accused me of being too stupid to know the rules.

Funny how that works, I couldn't hear him arguing from the parking lot after that

Old Sun Jun 01, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Please remember that there is no baseline (basepath I am assuming), until a runner or a play creates one.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2003, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Please remember that there is no baseline (basepath I am assuming), until a runner or a play creates one.
Speaking ASA

Rule 1 Definitions:

Baseline. A base line is an imaginary direct line between the bases.

Basepath. A base path is a direct line between a base and the runner's position at the time a defensive player is attempting (or about to attempt) to tag a runner.

That is on page 48 of the 2003 ASA Rule Book, Umpire Edition.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Speaking ASA

Rule 1 Definitions:

Baseline. A base line is an imaginary direct line between the bases.

Basepath. A base path is a direct line between a base and the runner's position at the time a defensive player is attempting (or about to attempt) to tag a runner.

That is on page 48 of the 2003 ASA Rule Book, Umpire Edition.

Thx Mike..
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

The defense standing in front of the runner is to the runner's advantage because of the obstruction call.

Unless the ball comes to that defensive player, the runner ought to run into the defense... now they can't be put out.

I've seen this in adult leagues where it was an atagonistic thing the defensive player was doing to upset the runner (childishly stupid).

"Can you get the first baseman to move out of the basepath?"

"No. But you can run over him and I will give you and obstruction call."

Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
... snip ... "No. But you can run over him and I will give you and obstruction call."

Pleeeaasse!
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
The defense standing in front of the runner is to the runner's advantage because of the obstruction call.

Unless the ball comes to that defensive player, the runner ought to run into the defense... now they can't be put out.

I've seen this in adult leagues where it was an atagonistic thing the defensive player was doing to upset the runner (childishly stupid).

"Can you get the first baseman to move out of the basepath?"

"No. But you can run over him and I will give you and obstruction call."

When I played 1B, I always stood in the vicinity of the baseline if I thought it would upset the runner or coach (RH batter only). When they complained to the umpire, I didn't wait for them to speak up, I did. I would tell them that if the ball wasn't coming to me, they can run me over and get away with it. Of course, I'm not a fool. A always took two steps forward on the pitch. But it was unbelievable how many adults got so bent out of sorts by something so trivial.

Same as a catcher. I would chatter my head off and talk to anybody other than the other team. I don't know why it bothered them so much, but apparently it did.

Like it or not, adults playing kids games like to play mind games whenever they can. For example, the Red Sox questioning the "300 Win" emblem on Clemens glove on Memorial Day. From what I understand, the Sox players also made a point of spreading their warm-up area all over the outfield especially in an area where Clemens like to have a long-toss with teammates before a game. To some, winning isn't everything, but it sure is a lot of fun trying
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks for the reply.

I have always handle the situation as described in the posts above. I was managing my 6U team Saturday morning and the 1st base coach asked the umpire to reposition my second baseman. Unfortunately we have 12-13 year olds calling the bases for our game, they have no training but they are the grandsons of the league founder. The BU comes up and physically grabs my second baseman by the arm and moves her back three feet. I told him to get his hands off my second baseman and explain the finer points of obstruction to him and the first base coach. Now the first base coach is calling me "a jerk" and I'm being unreasonable (the same coach earlier complain because my runner was called safe even though his SS tag the bag before the runner got there - it was not a force play!) Now the BU is screaming at me to move her and I refuse. First, he never checked to see if she was in the baseline plus it's should not be his concern as described in the other posts. For the next two innings, the other team intentionally position their girls in the baseline and of course the BU didn't call obstruction. Normally I can care less about winning or losing, but we won in extra innings. I wish our league would lose the umpires at this level, quit keeping score, and place an emphasize on skill building and sportsmanship. The new league president is open to these ideas. Keep us in your prayers.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

ABZ:

I was unaware that anyone kept score or standings in that age bracket, especially if you are playing Dixie, where they emphasize skill building in particular at that age. That is why they don't have tournaments for the Sweeties age division.

Well, good luck in bringing them around.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 04:46am
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
... my 6U team ... BU comes up and ... moves her back ... I told him ... hands off ... base coach is calling me "a jerk" ... I wish our league would ... place an emphasize on ... sportsmanship...
Good post.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
I wish our league would lose the umpires at this level, quit keeping score, and place an emphasize on skill building and sportsmanship. The new league president is open to these ideas. Keep us in your prayers.
Before I saw this statement, I was getting ready to jump all over the issue. I agree - get the umps off the field and let the coaches teach basic skills. One of which is "when the runer is going to 2nd base, no tackling."

-Kono