View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks for the reply.

I have always handle the situation as described in the posts above. I was managing my 6U team Saturday morning and the 1st base coach asked the umpire to reposition my second baseman. Unfortunately we have 12-13 year olds calling the bases for our game, they have no training but they are the grandsons of the league founder. The BU comes up and physically grabs my second baseman by the arm and moves her back three feet. I told him to get his hands off my second baseman and explain the finer points of obstruction to him and the first base coach. Now the first base coach is calling me "a jerk" and I'm being unreasonable (the same coach earlier complain because my runner was called safe even though his SS tag the bag before the runner got there - it was not a force play!) Now the BU is screaming at me to move her and I refuse. First, he never checked to see if she was in the baseline plus it's should not be his concern as described in the other posts. For the next two innings, the other team intentionally position their girls in the baseline and of course the BU didn't call obstruction. Normally I can care less about winning or losing, but we won in extra innings. I wish our league would lose the umpires at this level, quit keeping score, and place an emphasize on skill building and sportsmanship. The new league president is open to these ideas. Keep us in your prayers.