The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

My husband and I have been trying to get our daughter, a varsity pitcher, to wear a pitcher's mask and have been unsuccessful until now. Unfortunately what changed her mind about these fairly new masks is the hard line drive that SHE hit her first at bat (last game) right up the middle that unfortunately hit the other team's pitcher. The ball came back at the other team's pitcher so fast that she didn't have time to react fast enough and was hit in the face. She was hurt very badly and will be going through surgery tomorrow for multiple broken bones in her face. Our daughter feels so bad and was shook so badly by what happened, that she has changed her mind and is now asking for a pitcher's mask herself. I am having trouble finding these masks at our local sporting goods stores and on-line. Does anybody know what manufacturers make these masks (specifically for softball PITCHERS) and where they sell them in the Chicagoland area or on-line? We're hoping to get her one before her first summer tournament(June 13th). And if whoever reads this can convince just ONE MORE pitcher to start wearing a mask, you will have taken one more pitcher out of harms way. PLEASE ENCOURAGE ALL PITCHERS TO WEAR MASKS!!!
Old Mon Jun 02, 2003, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Having a daughter who played the game for many years, and was a top notch pitcher, I understand your concern. Here is the link to one of the leading manufactuers of pitcher facemask protection. Good luck.

http://www.gameface.com/

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

I have seen close calls, and pitchers hit hard. Have not seen a direct hit in face, but some very close. We make batters, runners, catchers wear face protection, it should be mandatory for pitchers to wear the face gaurd, and also the heartgaurd, at least until 16U. F5, and maybe F3 also. There are some injuries which are preventable! Face injuries to the pitcher is one of them.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

re: faceguards for pitchers... see the thread on banning bats.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
re: faceguards for pitchers... see the thread on banning bats.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
Did ya see that women from Bama that fouled the ball off her face?? 18 stiches and a big shiner
Old Tue Jun 03, 2003, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Somewhere recently I read that the leading cause of blindness in boys up to about age 15 was baseball. I would imagine there is a similar statistic for girls and softball... having seen one girl loose an eye.

Gameface looks to be a great idea and the price is cheap; $20!