The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting calls this weekend in tournament play. Thought I'd share and ask at same time. Because I do little league, I have to learn as I go in ASA. For 10U play

1. Situation 1: R1 at 2nd, Batter grounds to F6, F6 overthrows F3 over fence. Each player was awarded one base. Is this correct? LL is 2.

2. Situation 2: No runners, Batter grounds to F6, F6 underthrows F3, BR advances to 2nd, F3 overthrows F4, BR advanced to 3rd. Runner was told to go back to 2nd. Does the "runner may steal or advance" 1 base per pitch apply in this situation? Why was runner forced to stay at 2nd?

3. Situation 3: R1 at 2nd, Pitcher delivers and R1 steals to 3rd, F2 overthrows F5 and R1 is allowed to run home and score. Is this correct?

4. Crow Hopping. All umps say they see it but won't call it. I explained that at this level should be where they do call it because it helps train the girls for the next level where it's rarely called too. Seems all the umps around here do not want to call it from fear of being black balled or something. Would you call it?

And I know many of you might think 10U tournament play shouldn't be allowed; I disagree. It's a great opportunity for talented kids to play at a higher level. Plus, most of these kids are 11 anyway!

Old Sun May 25, 2003, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sprivitor
Interesting calls this weekend in tournament play. Thought I'd share and ask at same time. Because I do little league, I have to learn as I go in ASA.
Don't you have an ASA rule book to study? If not, you definitely should get one (talk to your UIC) and study it. If you are going to continue to call ASA, get some training.

Quote:
For 10U play
Caveat: I don't normally call 10U (I've only done a couple of games ever). Caveat #2: Many leagues have local rules that override the ASA book at 10U.

Quote:
1. Situation 1: R1 at 2nd, Batter grounds to F6, F6 overthrows F3 over fence. Each player was awarded one base. Is this correct? LL is 2.
No. 2 bases from the time of the throw.

Quote:
2. Situation 2: No runners, Batter grounds to F6, F6 underthrows F3, BR advances to 2nd, F3 overthrows F4, BR advanced to 3rd. Runner was told to go back to 2nd. Does the "runner may steal or advance" 1 base per pitch apply in this situation? Why was runner forced to stay at 2nd?
1 base per pitch does not apply to a batted ball.

Quote:
3. Situation 3: R1 at 2nd, Pitcher delivers and R1 steals to 3rd, F2 overthrows F5 and R1 is allowed to run home and score. Is this correct?
Not unless the ball went out of play. If the ball did not go out of play, the runner should have been returned to 3rd.

Quote:
4. Crow Hopping. All umps say they see it but won't call it. I explained that at this level should be where they do call it because it helps train the girls for the next level where it's rarely called too. Seems all the umps around here do not want to call it from fear of being black balled or something. Would you call it?
Depends. Early in the season, or in a regular league game, or in a rec tournament, I would instruct the coach what the pitcher is doing wrong, and tell the coach I want to see progress on working on the correct pitching motion or I will call it. In Championship play, call it.
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Tom,

I don't call ASA games. I only do little league; however, I do coach a traveling team too and most all 10U tournaments are ASA. These calls were all made by the umps working the games.

Thanks for your reply!
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sprivitor
Interesting calls this weekend in tournament play. Thought I'd share and ask at same time. Because I do little league, I have to learn as I go in ASA. For 10U play

Q1: Two base from TOT. [As Tom stated]

Q2: Runner should have been allowed to remain at 3rd. One
base advance is for pitched ball.
[agree with Tom]

No, she must return to 3rd, however, she can be put out at HP. [agree with Tom]

As Tom stated, point it out to the coach in league play,
but call it in championship play.
>
And I know many of you might think 10U tournament play shouldn't be allowed; I disagree. It's a great opportunity for talented kids to play at a higher level. Plus, most of these kids are 11 anyway!

I think 10U's should play tournaments, however, as a coach
you need to have a good gripe on the rules. During tournaments
you will see umpires that will normally call all violations,
as they should.

Give me you physical address and I will send you a 2002 ASA Rule
book. You can go on-line at several sites to get the 2003 changes.

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Talking however, as a coachyou need to have a good gripe on the rules. During tournaments

Glen

I hadnt seen a 10u coach yet that didnt have a good gripe on the rules but must do not have a good GRIP of the rules

Just joshing with ya

Don
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

sprivitor:

Don't confuse "crow hop" with a "leap." While the penalty for both is the same (illegal pitch), they are two completely different beasts. A leap is what it says, pushing off and the pivot foot leaving the ground. A crow hop is where a pitcher leaps once, establishes a second point of impetus with the pivot foot and leaps again to deliver. I would be surprised to find many 10 year olds with the skills to do a true, and effective crow hop.

Scott

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Scott

Scott

What I see at the younger levels may not be a true crow hop as you are describing but a crow hop by defination where the pitcher will step up with her pivot foot and reestablishing her pivot in front of the plate then push off from there which is more likely what sprivitor is talking about

JMO

Don
Old Sun May 25, 2003, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sprivitor
Tom,

I don't call ASA games. I only do little league; however, I do coach a traveling team too and most all 10U tournaments are ASA. These calls were all made by the umps working the games.

Thanks for your reply!
Sorry for the misunderstanding. From your first post, I thought you were a LL umpire who was also calling ASA.