The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2012, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

2012 ASA Umpire Manual Correction

The following is from the body of a letter from KR:

In the 2012 Umpire Manual there is a wording mistake in the Three Umpire System in a few sections. These are, with a runner on 2B only, 1B and 2B, 2B and 3B and Bases Loaded in the sections of Ground Ball to the Infield, and Base Hit to the Outfield. The verbiage used in the Umpire Manual for the movement of the Plate Umpire in these situations is “Move out from behind the plate toward the “holding zone” in foul ground and read the play. As we all know there is no holding zone in a Three Umpire System so the wording could be misleading. It was originally used to describe the plate umpire moving out toward 3B or what we refer to the holding zone. The DVD in these situations says “The Plate Umpire should move out from behind the plate and read the play.” These are the words that will be changed in the 2013 Umpire Manual.

This should also appear in the February clarifications.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

LP just mentioned this very issue this morning during the Region 4 NUS.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
LP just mentioned this very issue this morning during the Region 4 NUS.
Much ado about nothing? Wonder how many people noticed or would have done anything different because of it?
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Much ado about nothing? Wonder how many people noticed or would have done anything different because of it?
It'd be such a counterintuitive place for a plate umpire to go that I doubt anyone would have thought to do it.

But still, good housekeeping is good housekeeping.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It'd be such a counterintuitive place for a plate umpire to go that I doubt anyone would have thought to do it.

OK, I recognize that coming from D4 in Pennsylvania, I am not likely to see a national. Dave Persing, the D4 commisioner does not send umpires to nationals.
But, if I were working a 3-umpire crew at an ASA national, chances are really good that I'd follow that NCAA manual.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Agree. I guess it all depends on whether you think the "holding zone" is a given area or some place you are in order to observe and decide which way you need to go.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2012, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree. I guess it all depends on whether you think the "holding zone" is a given area or some place you are in order to observe and decide which way you need to go.
To me, the "holding zone" is the area where you should be to let the play develop. It should be out of the way of the players, but close enough that you can easily get into position for the next call.

However, since ASA has frequently emphasized specific locations as being "the holding zones" at the National Umpire Schools and in the DVDs, I can see where some could misinterpret the holding zone statement to mean that they should come up the 3rd base line.

Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
To me, the "holding zone" is the area where you should be to let the play develop. It should be out of the way of the players, but close enough that you can easily get into position for the next call.

However, since ASA has frequently emphasized specific locations as being "the holding zones" at the National Umpire Schools and in the DVDs, I can see where some could misinterpret the holding zone statement to mean that they should come up the 3rd base line.
I agree. This seems to be an issue with some who believe the DVD is the bible and the end of discussion. I believe the DVD is a good base upon which you start and build. School instructors should be more flexible in training and evaluation. When I say that, I'm not talking about drastic variations, but a slight adjustments that are necessary to see the play to get the call right.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2012, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. This seems to be an issue with some who believe the DVD is the bible and the end of discussion. I believe the DVD is a good base upon which you start and build. School instructors should be more flexible in training and evaluation. When I say that, I'm not talking about drastic variations, but a slight adjustments that are necessary to see the play to get the call right.
Actually, at the NUS in Burlington this weekend, emphasis was placed on getting to the right starting position, and adjusting as necessary. I thought DG and LP got that message out quite well.

I've only been to 3 NUSs, and DG and LP taught 2 of the 3. So I can't speak for what's being taught elsewhere, but that's the message we got from them both times.

Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Why do the 3 ump mechanics disdain the holding zone, or is it just the holding zone wording?
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Why do the 3 ump mechanics disdain the holding zone, or is it just the holding zone wording?
If the 1BU is counter-rotated and neither umpire goes out, there is absolutely no need for the PU to move up the line to the holding zone.

In fact, moving up the line like that could be misinterpreted by the players and coaches. They could misinterpret it as the PU having the call instead of the 3BU, thus lessening the 3BU's credibility on a tight play at 3rd.

There are times when it's advantageous for two umpires to move towards the same play (e.g., the PU trailing the BR with no runners on or a lone runner on 1st). This, however, would not be such a time.

Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the 1BU is counter-rotated and neither umpire goes out, there is absolutely no need for the PU to move up the line to the holding zone.

In fact, moving up the line like that could be misinterpreted by the players and coaches. They could misinterpret it as the PU having the call instead of the 3BU, thus lessening the 3BU's credibility on a tight play at 3rd.
Please, it is a small field, but not that small that ANYONE should be confused whose call it is. I don't think we are referring to an umpire dashing away from the plate. But if the infield play isn't coming to the plate, I'm stepping away as I don't want to have to look through the catcher and a runner to see the developing play in the field.

To answer the previous question, I suspect it is more the wording.
Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Please, it is a small field, but not that small that ANYONE should be confused whose call it is. I don't think we are referring to an umpire dashing away from the plate. But if the infield play isn't coming to the plate, I'm stepping away as I don't want to have to look through the catcher and a runner to see the developing play in the field.

To answer the previous question, I suspect it is more the wording.
True, but how many times do we hear, "go ask your partner" when our partner is 100+ feet away?

Now if said partner is only 30' away?

Old Tue Jan 31, 2012, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, but how many times do we hear, "go ask your partner" when our partner is 100+ feet away?

Now if said partner is only 30' away?
You don't have to say yes unless you believe there is a portion of the play you may have missed.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2012, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't have to say yes unless you believe there is a portion of the play you may have missed.
Oh, I know, but why should the PU be there in the first place? I'd prefer they stay closer to home plate to get ready for a play there.