View Single Post
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
For JO FP and SP and adult modified, rule 7-3-C lists 8 circumstances under which the batter can leave the box.

Number 3 is "if forced out of the box by a pitch." You could argue that the batter in question was avoiding being hit, regardless of her faulty judgment. The rule also says, "leaves the batter's box and delays play," so merely leaving the box momentarily and getting right back in is not a violation. Example: nobody on, pitch goes back to the screen. As the catcher retrieves it, the batter steps out of the box and takes a practice swing. She returns as soon as the pitcher gets the ball. That is not a violation.

I would say the girl could jump out on every pitch with no penalty. Whether the coaches should remove her from the game is solely their decision.

Nope, won't buy that one. The RULE state that "the batter must remain in the box with at least one foot between pitchers and while taking signals and practice swings."

I do not agree that a batter's fear of a thrown ball is sufficient cause to be "forced" out of the box unless the pitch actually came near passing through the box.

The EFFECT states that "If the batter leaves the batter's box and delays play, and none of these exceptions apply, the umpire may warn the batter or call a strike." I consider this nothing more than a hint to the umpire in the manner to apply the penalty. Just because there is no noticeable delay (10 seconds isn't that long) doen't mean the umpire is to ignore rule 7.3.C.