Thread: Look back rule
View Single Post
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Question

I haven't done much softball this season but yesterday I "Got" opportunity to enforce the look-back rule (FED 8-7-3). Of course the coach got very excited because I called his player out. Then I acted a little unsure that I had done the right thing and my partner was of no value to calm the situation... causing more confusion.

Somebody refresh my memory of purpose and function of this rule.

Here was the situation: runner on third (R3), Batter-runner receives ball 4, ball is returned to pitcher in the circle, BR rounds first and goes about 6 strides towards 2nd, pitcher is watching BR with ball in glove, BR stops very momentarily and makes a single hard step back towards 1st, BR changes direction and now heads for 2nd, pitcher raises ball in throwing hand looking to 2nd as I yell dead ball and BR is out, send R3 back to 3rd.

Coach now screams that they have been working on this play for 2 days and that the BR is not out if the pitcher is making a play on the BR. I contended that the BR is not allowed to go back and forth and attempt to draw a play out of the pitcher. BR may stop but must immediately choose 1st or 2nd and proceed without further stopping or direction changes.

I think I got it right but somebody reinforce my belief or educate me to the correct ruling. My partner was of no help which caused greater confusion and anguish in the coaches - I don't think he would have made the call and didn't like me making it.

The team contesting my call, by the way, went on to win by 10 run rule in the 6th (12-2).