Thread: Look back rule
View Single Post
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Don't make too much of the word "another" - that includes the BR (now R2).

Quote:
The pitcher's actions were not a feint. I believe she was preparing to make a throw to 2nd as the BR advanced.
Makes no difference because of what I've underlined (assuming I am understanding you correctly.

The pitcher merely watching the BR round 1st is not a play. A play by the pitcher is defined by ASA in POE 33 as "any act by the pitcher ... that, in the umpire's judgment , causes the runner to react... The POE's in the NFHS book are, to put it mildly, not extensive. So, since the lookback rule is virtually the same between the two organizations, I would have no problem using the ASA POE here.

A play by the pitcher under the lookback rule is not a reaction to the runner; it is the runner reacting to the pitcher. What I mean to say is that the runner cannot "release herself" by making an illegal move to cause the pitcher to react.

Change the scenario just a bit. BR rounds 1B, goes a few steps and stops, and starts to retreat to 1B slowly. Pitcher, who has been watching the BR (now R2), raises her arm in a fake throw, or in preparation to throw. This releases the runner, who may now try to advance to 2B. This also releases R1, who can try to advance home.

In your scenario, however, the runner stopped, retreated (by just a step, but retreated nonetheless), changed direction again toward 2B, drawing the "play" from the pitcher. This is what the lookback rule is designed to prevent - monkey business on the base path to try to draw a throw from the pitcher. The coach even admitted (or nearly admitted) that was what he was trying to do.

Good call.