The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Ahhh... The Onion...

This made me chuckle.

Baserunner Caught In Rundown Bites Cyanide Capsule To Avoid Falling Into Enemy Hands | The Onion Sports Network

SEATTLE—In order to avoid capture by the visiting Minnesota Twins Thursday, Mariners center fielder Franklin Gutierrez bit down on his team-issued cyanide capsule during a run down between second and third base. "When you're surrounded by defenders on both sides with no escape in sight, team protocol is to self-terminate," said Mariners third base coach Jeff Datz, adding that running outside the baseline is never an option. "Frankie conducted himself bravely. He attempted to advance to the far base, turned back to see if the near base was attainable, assessed the situation, and realized he was out of options. That's when I smelled the bitter almonds and I knew he was gone.” When asked what information Gutierrez possessed that made suicide his only option, Datz chuckled humorlessly and lit a cigarette, saying, "There's a lot you don't know about the Seattle Mariners."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.