The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Doing a jv game, first batter of first inning hits sharply hit ball to third base. F5 fields ball cleanly and makes a one-hop throw to f3 who catches the ball, but the throw was just a little late. I signal out and make a verbal out call. I guess I just spaced it because I knew I blew it as soon as I made the call. I called time right away, and said, "my mistake, the runner is safe!" I did this before any real argument could be made by the first base coach or anyone else for that matter. The defensive coach came out to talk after I changed the call. I said, "coach I missed the call and I had a chance to make it right!" He didn't have much to say to that. I don't know if what I did was correct but I feel like my job is to make the right call. I hope it dosen't take me two times next time. The rest of the game went very smoothly, Thank God for small favors.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2003, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindump
Doing a jv game, first batter of first inning hits sharply hit ball to third base. F5 fields ball cleanly and makes a one-hop throw to f3 who catches the ball, but the throw was just a little late. I signal out and make a verbal out call. I guess I just spaced it because I knew I blew it as soon as I made the call. I called time right away, and said, "my mistake, the runner is safe!" I did this before any real argument could be made by the first base coach or anyone else for that matter. The defensive coach came out to talk after I changed the call. I said, "coach I missed the call and I had a chance to make it right!" He didn't have much to say to that. I don't know if what I did was correct but I feel like my job is to make the right call. I hope it dosen't take me two times next time. The rest of the game went very smoothly, Thank God for small favors.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
Hey blind guy, eat it. Stick with your call.Reasoning is, you gonna get all kinda crap after you change one. Rules interp call change is one thing, judgement, NO. Stick to your guns, trust me, I've kicked the crap outa calls, everybody does(even if they won't admit)Learn from it and move on.....and upward...smile big and have fun
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the JV level, and because there were no other runners, and if it were that obvious, I think you can be forgiven this one indiscretion.

Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Two thoughts here. One, it was a bang-bang play and you called it too quick and instantly thought that you were wrong. Well, guess what - regardless of what you called, 50 percent of the coaches, players, and fans just knew that you were wrong! So stay with your call.

Two - it wasn't a close play and you were signaling one thing and thinking something else. That one you have to correct because everybody knows that you are wrong.

Lesson to be learned? Sloooooow dooooown! When I have a close call to make I sometimes have the sensation that time has stopped and everybody in the stands is watching me, waiting for a call. I review my life's history before I finally make the call. Emphatically, of course!

A little exaggerated maybe. But when you get the feeling the people are waiting for you to make the call, then you know that you have slowed down. Your calls should improve; the questioning of your calls should lessen.

WMB
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Rarely is there need for an umpire to hurry his/her call. SLOW DOWN.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

I've got 2 words for you.......

SLOW DOWN
Old Wed Apr 30, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I am going to join in the SLOW DOWN chorus here! (I'm the one that is out of key!)

Scott

Old Fri May 02, 2003, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
... snip ... I called time right away, and said, "my mistake, the runner is safe!" I did this before any real argument could be made by the first base coach or anyone else for that matter. The defensive coach came out to talk after I changed the call. I said, "coach I missed the call and I had a chance to make it right!" ... snip ...
I compliment your courage and dedication to getting it right. Especially before an argument started, so you didn't look like you were letting the offensive coach call it. Even the defensive coach probably knew the runner was safe and you scored credibility with him.

I'm not sure if IM's "this one indiscretion" means missing it or changing it.
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Talking

blindump,

I have two words for you also since everyone has answered
your post.

W E L C O M E A B O A R D

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

for sure----- I haven't kicked one in a long time
but did the same on a play at 1st-----
it WAS "ball" then "foot" and for some unknown
reason I go and call safe (zoned out whatever)
I just ate it !!!
you're right----
do NOT anticipate
slow down
everyone makes mistakes
---------
remember Richie Garcia working the right field
line in the WS thinking "how can anything go wrong here ?"
I hope the younger umps realize that no one is infallible !

Old Fri May 02, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWFLguy

---------
remember Richie Garcia working the right field
line in the WS thinking "how can anything go wrong here ?"
I hope the younger umps realize that no one is infallible !

Yeah, and when he got a chance to explain himself to a reporter, he kicked the same call again!
Old Fri May 02, 2003, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Hey guys, I'm the resident BB guy who has a daughter playing softball, but this one is why you stick with original judgement call. 11-12's last nite, I'm Bu. ( boys game) Top 7, game tied at 4. B1 gets 1st on a dropped third. F1 gets nailed by me for a balk, now R2. B2 now hits a shot to right(real short field, 200 to the fence)F9 grabs ball on a short hop and fires to the dish, R2 comes in a bit later than ball, but ball is caught up high, tag comes in on his upper torso. (BR is staying at first, he's towing a trailer)I'm hanging in "c"(inside, 70 footer). So I am peeking in. I see a safe, PU calls aan OUT, then a big threee safe signal SAFE! D coach is out like a 300 pound rocket(he is). I walked to short right to let him handle biz. D coach is waving me over, I'm shaking head, "lets play". PU stod his ground, I ask him after game, he sez I screwed it made it right, thats what I told coach. NOW, in a youth game, I guess its ok, but once that happens.....watch out! I made 2 calls at second this game where stupid runner got picked, ended up getting wacked for outs fror the home team, home team gave V at least 6 outs in the top1, scored 3......gee, that call cost them the game....yeah, right. Stick with original call, unless you award bases wrong or a batter swings and gets HBP, let it go.
Old Sat May 03, 2003, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Ron Luciano was a 1970's gregarious umpire in the majors. I've heard that in one of his books, he relates a story of a runner stealing second. He yells "safe" while throwing up a big fist in the air.

The two players ask if he was calling safe or out and he said, "There was only two of you that heard 'safe', but there are 60,000 people that just saw 'out'. He's out."

I don't know if it is true. I hope it is.

On your play I agree with others, slow down your calls. I tell those in our association that any first or second year officials that can make a call too slow, I will give them $5. I don't think it is possible for a new umpire to make a call too slow.

The point in time that you said "Time! Oops I changed my mind" was the point in time that you probably should have been making your first call.
Old Sat May 03, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I guess I blew one the other day but it was kind of fun in the long run.I was working Var. by my self again because of our local shortage so I guess I have a good excuse.There was a play at the plate and a runner rounding third.The catcher had a play at home but the ball rolled away while I turned to pick up the runner rounding third.The runner kind of stood there while the head coach at third yelled go the ball is dead.The catcher was running to her and made a throw to third for a easy third out tag.This field has a strange cut out in front of the dugout that is o.b. and I did not look back to see if the ball went into that area because I was watching the runner at third.The coach began screaming didn't you see the catcher grab the ball out of bounds!I said coach you were looking that way and I'm not calling you a liar but I didn't see it.He says you have to see that your taking us out of the game!(which he is leading 3-0 in the fourth with a pitcher they can't tuoch).The funny part is later the other team comes up short on a close tag and the other coach yells while smiling at me your taking us out of the game!Several times later the fans of the other team yell sarcastically your taking us out of the game blue and instead of them being mad the fans all are laughing at this coach as are the players.After that i felt much better for keeping my coll and not escalating the sit. and the fans made him out the jerk.
Old Sat May 03, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
I guess I blew one the other day but it was kind of fun in the long run.I was working Var. by my self again because of our local shortage so I guess I have a good excuse.There was a play at the plate and a runner rounding third.The catcher had a play at home but the ball rolled away while I turned to pick up the runner rounding third.The runner kind of stood there while the head coach at third yelled go the ball is dead.The catcher was running to her and made a throw to third for a easy third out tag.This field has a strange cut out in front of the dugout that is o.b. and I did not look back to see if the ball went into that area because I was watching the runner at third.The coach began screaming didn't you see the catcher grab the ball out of bounds!I said coach you were looking that way and I'm not calling you a liar but I didn't see it.He says you have to see that your taking us out of the game!(which he is leading 3-0 in the fourth with a pitcher they can't tuoch).The funny part is later the other team comes up short on a close tag and the other coach yells while smiling at me your taking us out of the game!Several times later the fans of the other team yell sarcastically your taking us out of the game blue and instead of them being mad the fans all are laughing at this coach as are the players.After that i felt much better for keeping my coll and not escalating the sit. and the fans made him out the jerk.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~`
remember when working alone there can be no play without the ball. First priority is the ball, screw the runners touching bags in this case, especially with a DBA close by. JMHO.....:o)