The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Just have to say....

....the Texas Rangers begin their second World Series in as many years!!!! Hot damn! What a great time to be a Ranger fan. After all of those years where I sat in the ballpark with about 5K other people, dreaming of this day.

(Yeah Mike, I already know your opinion of MLB and the name "World Series." But that isn't going to rain on my parade, as the old saying goes!)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 12:45pm
Archaic Power Monger

Scott, as I've posted else where, since my Giants are not in it this year, I am hoping to see the Rangers win it all this year.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
....the Texas Rangers begin their second World Series in as many years!!!! Hot damn! What a great time to be a Ranger fan. After all of those years where I sat in the ballpark with about 5K other people, dreaming of this day.

(Yeah Mike, I already know your opinion of MLB and the name "World Series." But that isn't going to rain on my parade, as the old saying goes!)
Scott,
Enjoy it.
Hope the series is 1/2 as exciting as the last of the Regular season games.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Go Rangers!!

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
G O C A R D S ! ! ! !

World Series trophy comes to St. Louis | ksdk.com
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
There's one in every crowd!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
There's one in every crowd!
Why do you assume there is only one?

Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Being from Twins Territory, my natural inclination is to pull for the American League team in the World(hi, Mike...) Series. And, since my daughter lives in Waxahachie, even more so.

However, one of my favorite former Twins plays for St. Louis. Even better, he is a Twins player that many of the rabid Twins fans loved to hate. He even has a mnemonic name given to him by these fans... LNP... "Little Nicky Punto."

He was an excellent defensive infielder but an easy out in the batting order... something south of .250 IIRC for his lifetime batting average, with a season or two for the Twins where he was south of the Mendoza line for much of the season. (It was ironic, indeed,to see the Rangers intentionally walk LNP the other night to force StL to use a pinch hitter for the pitcher... and this pinch hitter hits the game winner!)

I just think it would be rich for LNP to get his World(hi, Mike...) Series ring before any of the Twins "star" players get theirs (if they ever do)!

So, I'm officially entertained by this series, but neutral...
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Being from Twins Territory, my natural inclination is to pull for the American League team in the World(hi, Mike...) Series. And, since my daughter lives in Waxahachie, even more so.

However, one of my favorite former Twins plays for St. Louis. Even better, he is a Twins player that many of the rabid Twins fans loved to hate. He even has a mnemonic name given to him by these fans... LNP... "Little Nicky Punto."

He was an excellent defensive infielder but an easy out in the batting order... something south of .250 IIRC for his lifetime batting average, with a season or two for the Twins where he was south of the Mendoza line for much of the season. (It was ironic, indeed,to see the Rangers intentionally walk LNP the other night to force StL to use a pinch hitter for the pitcher... and this pinch hitter hits the game winner!)

I just think it would be rich for LNP to get his World(hi, Mike...) Series ring before any of the Twins "star" players get theirs (if they ever do)!

So, I'm officially entertained by this series, but neutral...
They're stil playing baseball?
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Why do you assume there is only one?

I am reminded of the story of the first grade teacher who tells all her students that she is a NY Yankees fan, and asks them to raise their hands if they are Yankees fans, too. And like most children of that age, thay all raise their hands; except for one little girl, Roseanne.

So the teacher asks Roseanne why she didn't raise her hand, as Roseanne replies that she is a Boston Red Sox fan, not a Yankees fan. The teacher asks her why, and she says that her mom and dad, as well as her big brother, are Red Sox fans, and she likes to watch the games with them.

Well, the teacher proceeds to tell Roseanne that she shouldn't do everything her parents like, that she should be able to decide for herself, asking "What would you do if your parents were morons?" And Roseanne's answer was
"Then they would be Yankees fans."
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I am reminded of the story of the first grade teacher who tells all her students that she is a NY Yankees fan, and asks them to raise their hands if they are Yankees fans, too. And like most children of that age, thay all raise their hands; except for one little girl, Roseanne.

So the teacher asks Roseanne why she didn't raise her hand, as Roseanne replies that she is a Boston Red Sox fan, not a Yankees fan. The teacher asks her why, and she says that her mom and dad, as well as her big brother, are Red Sox fans, and she likes to watch the games with them.

Well, the teacher proceeds to tell Roseanne that she shouldn't do everything her parents like, that she should be able to decide for herself, asking "What would you do if your parents were morons?" And Roseanne's answer was
Now that reminds me of a conversation I had with my daughter on football years ago. I'm a stillers fan and my wife was an iggles fan, Since Pam doesn't read this board - my daughter chose the moron side - she's an iggles fan. Oh - and the son-in-law follows the cowboys. Family time during football is fun.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

Now that reminds me of a conversation I had with my daughter on football years ago. I'm a stillers fan and my wife was an iggles fan, Since Pam doesn't read this board - my daughter chose the moron side - she's an iggles fan. Oh - and the son-in-law follows the cowboys. Family time during football is fun.
Old Fri Oct 21, 2011, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
"Stillers," "Iggles," and "Boys" -- none of you are having too much fun this year!