The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

My question has always been,

If a batter places the bat in the strike zone, but that isn't where the ball is, how can anyone consider or confuse that with an attempt to contact the ball with the bat?? Wouldn't simple logic suggest that an attempt to contact the ball would include attempting to place the bat where the ball is, not where it isn't??
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No I don't. I've had players who don't want to walk just swing the bat when the ball isn't in the area. The definition requires a strike be called if the batter swings and missed a pitch. If there is no pitch to hit, how can it be a strike?

Hmmmmmm.....
What do you mean "ball isn't in area"? No pitch thrown? Then OK.
But an attempt to stop a swing can certainly have the bat and ball in different areas and still be a swinging strike.
Likewise a batter can deliberately swing and miss a pitch for an intentional strike. Right?

Quote:
Then again there is also the point that a pitch which hits a bat behind the batters head (still on the shoulder) makes a very good bunt, but it is not a strike if the pitched ball passes near the bat. Why, because the batter wasn't trying to strike the ball which, IMO, is the basis of any pitched ball being called a strike.

There is no logical reason to eliminate that requirement.
If ball strikes (pun intended) bat while still on B's shoulder, it might have the same effect as if the ball was bunted, but how can that be considered a bunt?

If B, with 2 strikes, has bat on shoulder, and ball strikes bat and becomes foul, you wouldn't have dead ball strike 3 as you would if it were a bunt attempt, would you?

I am wondering if we are talking about the same thing here.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
My question has always been,

If a batter places the bat in the strike zone, but that isn't where the ball is, how can anyone consider or confuse that with an attempt to contact the ball with the bat?? Wouldn't simple logic suggest that an attempt to contact the ball would include attempting to place the bat where the ball is, not where it isn't??
This is why I don't like the rule.

But we all know that some bunters have better techniques than others. Many lower-level players don't "get it" and simply "hope" that the ball hits the bat.

Now I know we are not in the mind-reading business, and apparently none of us wrote this rule, nor wouldn't have written this rule given the opportunity, but who knows what was in the minds of the framers of this rule.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

As I understand it, decisions on NCAA Rules are made by a committee of voting coaches. I think it was only a few years ago that an umpire was added to the committe as a non-voting member.
I'm not sure if this is still true (that the umpire is non-voting)
Nuff Said
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've had players who don't want to walk just swing the bat when the ball isn't in the area. The definition requires a strike be called if the batter swings and missed a pitch.
Don't have an ASA book with me, but the definition in the NCAA book says "Any pitch ..... or is swung at by the batter and missed." If the ASA book states the same, why are you required to call a strike in your sitch?
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Don't have an ASA book with me, but the definition in the NCAA book says "Any pitch ..... or is swung at by the batter and missed." If the ASA book states the same, why are you required to call a strike in your sitch?
I'm talking about someone who intentionally swings the bat with no effort to hit the ball when the ball isn't there. IOW, it is just leaving the pitcher's hand or swings below the knees when the ball it 10' over their head or in or just about to be received by the catcher 7-10' outside. PLEASE NOTE that in all cases, the batter is simply swinging the bat, not attempting to swing at the pitch. You see it in slow pitch when a player would rather swing the bat than walk. I haven't seen it in a FP game since I played in the Navy.

Think of it this way. When a batter is in position to bat and the pitcher throws a pitch-out way outside and the batter relaxes allowing the bat fall off the shoulder and in the lead hand pendulates over the his/her toes. Do you call a strike? No, because the batter made no effort to strike the pitch.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post

If ball strikes (pun intended) bat while still on B's shoulder, it might have the same effect as if the ball was bunted, but how can that be considered a bunt?
Who said it was a bunt? I'm referring to the difference of trying to hit the pitch and not.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who said it was a bunt? I'm referring to the difference of trying to hit the pitch and not.
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Then again there is also the point that a pitch which hits a bat behind the batters head (still on the shoulder) makes a very good bunt, but it is not a strike if the pitched ball passes near the bat. Why, because the batter wasn't trying to strike the ball which, IMO, is the basis of any pitched ball being called a strike.

What we have here is failure to communicate.
Cool Hand Luke.
"Getting my mind right, boss"
Old Wed Sep 14, 2011, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Yeah, you are correct, I did use the word. However, I was not talking about it actually being a bunt, but being like you mentioned, having the same effect.