The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Can some give some input on what constitutes a bunt 'attempt' on an unhit pitch? Leaving the bat motionless in the zone as the ball goes by? Waggling or punching at the ball as it goes by?

If the pitch would otherwise be a ball, what criteria so you use (actions by the attempted bunter) to call it a strike ("swinging")?

TIA
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

This is no different than what constitutes a check swing...if the batter attempts to bunt/hit the ball and misses, that's a strike.

If you get into the habit of saying "Yes he did!" when a batter attempts to bunt a ball and miss, it helps identify what happened. It also makes it clear what your call is, I don't think I've ever had anyone question a bunt attempt when I've used that phrase.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Leaving the bat motionless is definitely NOT an attempt.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Me too,

In FED it is clearly referenced in Rule 7 in the Case Book.

The exact example of leaving the bat in the zone is defined by "letter law" . . .

Again, everyone here is correct, it is simply "did the batter attempt to bunt the ball."
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

L-Man casebook 7.2.1 situation b The mere holding of the bat in the strike zone is not an attempt to bunt.(10-1-4)
I hope this helps
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Thank you, very helpful. I should have researched more before asking hastily.

The casebook seems to require that the bat be moved toward the pitched ball in order to register a strike. Very well then.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan

The casebook seems to require that the bat be moved toward the pitched ball in order to register a strike. Very well then.
Had this happen in a game this week. The batter brought the bat around to bunt, dipped it below his waist at a pitch and then brought back. I stated "on the attempt, strike".
The batter questioned the call. I told him, 1. it was a strike anyway and 2. don't go after the pitch, change your mind and expect me to know what your intention was.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

"The casebook seems to require that the bat be moved toward the pitched ball in order to register a strike. Very well then"

One note - a coach one night had apparently either read this or had it explained to him this way, with these words.

His batter moved the bat up and toward the catcher in trying to bunt the ball, and he insisted (to the point of protest, even) that I was incorrectly ruling this an attempt to hit the ball, since he didn't move the bat TOWARD THE PITCHER.

Toward the pitched (ie MOVING) ball is what matters.

A few of us had beer on his protest fee the following week.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:

Had this happen in a game this week. The batter brought the bat around to bunt, dipped it below his waist at a pitch and then brought back. I stated "on the attempt, strike".
The batter questioned the call. I told him, 1. it was a strike anyway and 2. don't go after the pitch, change your mind and expect me to know what your intention was.
jcone,
if the pitch was a strike, then signal the strike and don't worry about whether he made an attempt. No grief.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:

jcone,
if the pitch was a strike, then signal the strike and don't worry about whether he made an attempt. No grief.
Why, thank you scyguy. Does that makes us even.

Have a good day!!!
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I am not sure what you mean by even, I was only making a suggestion. If we have had disagreements in the past, then they are in the past. I cannot recall a problem we have had, but if so, I'm sure it is resolved. Isn't it?? If not, remind me what it is and hopefully we can resolve it. Thanks
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

jcone,
do you not agree that signalling the strike is the best alternative? I guess I am trying to understand your comment.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
jcone,
do you not agree that signalling the strike is the best alternative? I guess I am trying to understand your comment.
Sorry haven't really been paying attention to this post.

My first comment was in regards to my comment about the strikezone. In which I had said I was only joking around. It was not that big a deal and no, I of all people have no problems with any one on this board. They are entitled to their opinions. Whether they like mine or not, well, this is their problem.

Anyway, your right that it is probably easier to signal the strike however it didn't come out that way and I had to live with it so, thanks for the help anyway.