The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Taking off the mask

What "hand" are you, and when you first learned to take off your umpire's mask, was it easy for you to take the mask off with your left hand?

I'm right-handed, or at least I think I am. At least I've always been raised right-handed, but I sometimes wonder. Everything else about me is left-side dominant: I listen to the phone with my left ear, I dropkick a soccer ball with my left foot, I used to skateboard like a "lefty," I'm left eye dominant when I go shooting, I even drive with only my left hand on the wheel.

But I'm right-handed. And for me, it's much more natural to take off my mask with my left hand than with my right. Trying to take off my mask with my right hand seems... Weird.

Just a random thought I had this morning when getting ready for work...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a righty, but I'm so used to using my left hand to pull off my mask that I don't even think twice about it. It was so long ago that I first started doing it that I can't even remember if it was awkward for me or not- but it probably was.

I'm lucky in that when I first started out I had a pretty good trainer who was really strict about doing things the right way. So I knew that you were supposed to use your left hand right off the bat and that's the way I always did it.

It's kind of the same with holding your indicator in your left hand. I seem to remember that feeling strange to me at first. There was a point early in my umpiring career where I broke my left hand and had a cast on it. So for a few weeks I had to hold my indicator in my right hand. That felt really strange! About the time it started to feel normal, the cast came off and I switched back- and it felt strange all over again.

Even though it's not how we're supposed to do it, I still see a good number of umpires around here that always use their right hand to remove the mask, as well as guys that hold the indicator in their right hand. Sometimes they're rookies and that kind of explains it. But I still see some guys with 20+ years of experience that do it "backwards". And it bugs me!
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'm very right-handed, but it was drilled into me when I started umpiring that the mask is always removed with the left hand, so that's what I did from the beginning. I don't remember it feeling awkward or difficult at the time, now it's just natural.

One of our older guys who retired from calling a few years back always took his mask off with the right hand, then quickly transferred it to his left hand.
The only reason I know this is because he told me. He was so good at it and able to do it so quickly that by the time you looked at him, he already had the mask in his left hand. When I started watching him more closely, I was able to see what he did. I guess he just never got comfortable with using the left hand.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

See, and that's the odd thing. I'm new at this, so the little oddities are fresh in my mind. Yet taking off my mask with my left hand seems natural. Taking it off with my right seems, well... just... wrong.

It's like trying to throw a ball with your opposite hand. You can do it, but your body is massively mixed up when you try.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe you've been umpiring for so long that your brain just instinctively knows your right hand is for signalling.

Last edited by BretMan; Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 03:14pm.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Standard umpire mechanic - remove the mask with the left hand.

Standard way to recognize an untrained umpire - see him remove the mask with the right hand (then see him smack a runner with it when signalling an out!)

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

and how do you put the mask back on. I have been told that the ncaa has a way to do it.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
What "hand" are you, and when you first learned to take off your umpire's mask, was it easy for you to take the mask off with your left hand?
Left, always left, nothing, but the left and, please, don't anyone tell me they cannot do that with an indicator in there hand.

I've been doing it since 14 yo and not these lightweight masks, but a coated cast-iron mask.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

what do you mean by hand??? no one else just throws it on the ground behind HP?
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
what do you mean by hand??? no one else just throws it on the ground behind HP?
Ask KR how that works out.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Left, always left, nothing, but the left and, please, don't anyone tell me they cannot do that with an indicator in there hand.

I've been doing it since 14 yo and not these lightweight masks, but a coated cast-iron mask.
Yeah, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I'm a righty, use a 4-wheel indicator, and I'm a total FP newbie behind the plate. But taking the mask off with the left hand just seems natural to me. I've only bumped my hat three times in 4 plate games (never lost it, though).

Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Yeah, I don't know what all the fuss is about. I'm a righty, use a 4-wheel indicator, and I'm a total FP newbie behind the plate. But taking the mask off with the left hand just seems natural to me. I've only bumped my hat three times in 4 plate games (never lost it, though).
Just don't forget to pull the mask off, not lift it over your head. And remember, the mask should never be tight. If you bend over and look at feet, it should fall off.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

catcher for over 20 years makes for a hard habit to break. Mask comes off with the right hand and quickly change to the left. (yes, I know this is not the proper mechanic)

Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
catcher for over 20 years makes for a hard habit to break. Mask comes off with the right hand and quickly change to the left. (yes, I know this is not the proper mechanic)

Funny, I have the same problem and for the same reason. I even practiced taking it off with my left hand at home repeatedly for years, but whenever I am on the ballfield, instinct takes over. The switch to the left hand is so quick that rarely does anyone ever notice.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 08:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Mask comes off with the right hand and quickly change to the left.
I did this for the first 20 years of my career. I was very young when I started umpiring (14 or 15) and had/have smallish hands. I found it difficult to get the mask off with my left hand. In fact, I was very quick getting the mask off with my right and moving it to my left that none of my UICs ever noticed (or, never made a point of dinging me) until just 5 or 6 years ago at my 3rd ASA National.

I worked very hard the next spring to "learn" to be a lefty and am happy to report this old dog did learn a new trick!