The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I must be bad, but I use both hands to remove, into the left while making the call, both hands to put it back on. Thumbs hook the strap, on it goes, give it a slight smack ready for play. Never loose the cap (/rant on! it's a CAP /Rant off).

bugg
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I've seen Major League umpires take their masks off with both hands. JMHO but I think it looks amateurish. It looks to me like they haven't taken the time to master taking it off with just their left hand. Dave
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Started at age 13, tried to do it left-handed and just had the worst time trying to get it to work without losing my hat. Finally gave up, even with all the vets telling me to do it right. Now, it's off and in front of my body quickly enough that virtually no one notices. The only two people who have noticed in the past seven years: KR and EA. KR demanded I fix it, EA was impressed how quickly it gets to the left hand and had no problem with it.

So now the question is, why exactly does it have to come off in the left hand? I am certainly aware of the 'signal with the right hand 'argument and the tradition that goes along with it. Yet, in my 27 years, I have never come close to an instance where removing it with my right has led to anything negative. In fact, I would argue for it to be a problem you have to either 1- leave it in the right hand or 2- be making a signal so quickly that you probably rushed the call. Both of these are easily remedied.

Ultimately, I don't see why there is all the fuss. When I train umpires, I suggest that the preferred method is to use the left hand, I make them aware of the possible kickback of being caught by the wrong person when using the right hand, and I provide the context for getting the mask to the left hand immediately after it is removed. Curious to hear others opinions...
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

There are many things that are required or stressed to do of umpires that I don't understand. Let me try to name a few that come to mind.
1. Alternating where the PU stands between innings. You can see fine from anywhere we are asked to stand.
2. Sweeping off the PP between innings, when with some pitchers, it will be back to dirty after only a few pitches.
3. Never laying your mask down.
There are many more that just don't come to mind. Any one want to add to the list, just for fun. Dave
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe we are required to agree with the rationale for all mechanics; those that can make the rules, do, and our job is to try to conform to get ahead.

And, I am also a former catcher that never got past the mental and muscle memory of taking the mask off with the right hand; I also swap immediately.

That said, here are some responses I have heard over the years to justify questions.

Mask; if you always have it in the correct hand, there will never even be a possibility that you would signal (particularly overhand or punch out) with the mask and lose it, or hit someone with it.

We alternate between innings to make sure there is no perceived favoritism by being closer to one dugout (and coaching staff) all the time.

We sweep the PP to see it; when a pitcher covers it again, she gets no benefit of doubt if there is an issue. We can also resweep it anytime if necessary; but setting a standard time makes it less apparent if we are watching one pitcher more than the other. We always do it between innings because that is the least obtrusive moment.

The mask is the most visible symbol of the authority of the PU; setting it down also can be perceived as setting aside that authority.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

I understand the rationale about alternating where we stand between innings. I guess my real question is why don't our umpire manuals just say to alternate each half inning, instead of telling which side to stand each half inning? Also, I have never seen in writing the not laying our masks down. I don't lay it down now, since I was made aware of it on this forum. Dave
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Funny, I have the same problem and for the same reason. I even practiced taking it off with my left hand at home repeatedly for years, but whenever I am on the ballfield, instinct takes over. The switch to the left hand is so quick that rarely does anyone ever notice.
So, when I was in college I broke my left hand fairly badly and it gives me just a little grief even just to hold an indicator, so while I've tried repeatedly to learn to get my mask off with my left hand, I've never been able to do it without losing the indicator half the time or it hurting.

A couple of years ago a friendly respected veteran pointed out I was doing it wrong (at this point I wasn't consistently getting it to my left hand after taking it off, so really wrong). Then he showed me what he does. Off with the left hand, into the right hand and then back to the left hand the way he likes it. The right to left I do now, makes more sense to me.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Right handed catcher as a kid. However, as a catcher, you rarely have to get the mask off as quickly as an umpire. Started umpire when I was still playing, but, as previously stated, had no problem using my left hand w/indicator. BTW, the masks back then only had horizontal bars, not the cages you have now.

Everyone has a comfortable way of doing things, guess I'm lucky I had good mentors at the time.

AFA laying down my mask, I just don't do it. To me, it is a piece of my uniform and tool of my trade. Not to mention I feel it is unprofessional on my behalf.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Right handed catcher as a kid. However, as a catcher, you rarely have to get the mask off as quickly as an umpire. Started umpire when I was still playing, but, as previously stated, had no problem using my left hand w/indicator. BTW, the masks back then only had horizontal bars, not the cages you have now.

Everyone has a comfortable way of doing things, guess I'm lucky I had good mentors at the time.

AFA laying down my mask, I just don't do it. To me, it is a piece of my uniform and tool of my trade. Not to mention I feel it is unprofessional on my behalf.
I think I found your old mask on eBay...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Well, I did break the 'putting mask on homeplate for plate conference' bad habit before Nationals.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Well, I did break the 'putting mask on homeplate for plate conference' bad habit before Nationals.
What I love is when the umpire asks, "How am I supposed to read or write with a mask in my hand?"
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Plus, on a typical softball field, it's going to get just plain dirty! I HATE if I accidently drop mine (which is very rare, maybe once a year) and it gets covered with dust. They have so many nooks and crannies for dirt to get into that a quick wipe off just isn't going to get it.

I like to keep mine clean. Laying it down in the dirt doesn't really help that! At least a couple of times a year I'll disassemble the whole thing to really scrub the frame, pads and harness, and I try to keep it wiped down between games.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I love is when the umpire asks, "How am I supposed to read or write with a mask in my hand?"
One of the local clowns has an answer to that, Mike. He's got one a clip on his belt and hangs the mask there. Wasn't sure if I'd wet my pants laughing or fall over - glad we had navy pants on..............
Old Sat Sep 03, 2011, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
A good exampe of how hands-on-hips looks impatient.
[NIT}Also, mask under arm s/b top facing forward. [/NIT]
Old Sat Sep 03, 2011, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
One of the local clowns has an answer to that, Mike. He's got one a clip on his belt and hangs the mask there. Wasn't sure if I'd wet my pants laughing or fall over - glad we had navy pants on..............
One of our local "clowns" has the clip too. He also calls outs with his left hand.

Oh ya, Forgot - he doesnt have a right arm.