The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Pitchers not pausing with hands seperated.

Watched a few of the LL world series softball games on TV and while I dont know what the LL pitching rules are, every one of the pitchers I saw would be illegal with the hands in ASA and FED.

Anyone else seen a major increase in this happening over the past year or so? For what ever reason, it seams alot of pitchers have started taking the signal back in the circle then stepping on and immediately bringing the hands together. Don't know why this seems to becoming the standard technique, but if they would just take the signal on the pitching plate there wouldnt be any problems.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Yea.........

We saw A LOT of this in the 12U Nats a couple weeks ago. Call IP a couple times and the coach either fixes it or puts in someone else. They seem to get really excited when you call it with runners on.

Coaches were telling me that they concentrate on where the pitch is and teaching to to throw the bal that the pre-throw requirement are largely ignored. Best thing to do is call it, first time first inning. Keep calling it until it's fixed. This will help the pitcher in the long run, and help your fellow umpires during her next game.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I still can't believe that LL is counting pitches IN SOFTBALL.....

The pitching talent looks pretty good, but we all know that almost every single one of the GOOD pitchers will be heading to travel ball after they turn 13....
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

From what Im reading on other softball boards those teams are essentially travel ball teams that are going after the LL world series.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post

The pitching talent looks pretty good, but we all know that almost every single one of the GOOD pitchers will be heading to travel ball after they turn 13....
Don't be surprised if this becomes common, even talked about at the NCAA level.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post

Little League Softball does not have a pitch count. It goes by innings pitched.

Rita
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Watched a few of the LL world series softball games on TV and while I dont know what the LL pitching rules are, every one of the pitchers I saw would be illegal with the hands in ASA and FED.

Anyone else seen a major increase in this happening over the past year or so? For what ever reason, it seams alot of pitchers have started taking the signal back in the circle then stepping on and immediately bringing the hands together. Don't know why this seems to becoming the standard technique, but if they would just take the signal on the pitching plate there wouldnt be any problems.
Illegal pitches are often not called in Little League (unless I'm calling the game). All too often, the softball players get umpires who know very little about softball.

This year I warned a couple of high school coaches that their players were barely not violating that rule. Neither believed me, that it could possibly be a violation. But they did believe my 6'4" partner.

Rita
Old Wed Aug 17, 2011, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Illegal pitches are often not called in Little League (unless I'm calling the game). All too often, the softball players get umpires who know very little about softball.

This year I warned a couple of high school coaches that their players were barely not violating that rule. Neither believed me, that it could possibly be a violation. But they did believe my 6'4" partner.

Rita
You should have grown more than 5'5"........d;-)

I hate that women officials don't get more respect........

My oldest daughter refereed kids soccer when she was about thirteen......had to get certified (I went through the classes too and they were not easy)........and I still officiate some of our charity events.......

Parents were harsh.......she did it for a year.......she would have made a good official.........but was not mature enough to handle some of the situations at that age......

Another area that parents ruin.......

Joel
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
OK, this is a hijack, sort of.
Did you see the play in the Illinois/Phillipines semi where a runner was out stealing 2nd; then all the umps conferenced.
The TH thought they were talking about "interference" (OBSTRUCTION ! ! ! !) by F4.
It looked like OBS on the replay, but not ruled as such.

Any opposite opinions, or LL rule knowledge?
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

LL has their rule books locked and you have to be a subscriber to get to them, but there are some videos open you can look at dealing with obstruction. Based on the videos, it appears LL has essentially the same ruling on obstruction as ASA for both baseball and softball, which I find intersting because watching the baseball games I cant tell you how many times I have seen defensive players camped out on the bases with no play being made and the runners are having to go around them. Not once have I seen an obstruction signal.

I saw the same play you are talking about. 6 umpires on the field, 1 whos only job is to stand behind 2nd base, watch that runner and make the call and couldnt see the stealing runner have to make a looping arc around F4 who was standing directly in the basepath.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

I also saw many illegal pitches and obstruction not called. The Texas pitcher was 100% illegal and not one illegal pitched called.

These games were on national TV. A bad message is being sent to the young ladies and coaches when illegal pitches are not called.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
My DD pitches. She takes the sign from the catcher behind the pitchers plate, positions the ball in her glove so when she brings her hands together the ball is in the proper position for the grip needed for the pitch.

After she steps on the pitchers plate she pauses shortly brings her hands together and pitches.

Every season, I have had to educate other blues and coaches that there is nothing wrong with taking the signal while not in contact with the pitchers plate.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmielke View Post
My DD pitches. She takes the sign from the catcher behind the pitchers plate, positions the ball in her glove so when she brings her hands together the ball is in the proper position for the grip needed for the pitch.

After she steps on the pitchers plate she pauses shortly brings her hands together and pitches.

Every season, I have had to educate other blues and coaches that there is nothing wrong with taking the signal while not in contact with the pitchers plate.
Which is why the rule would be better saying a pause on the plate with hand separated, as so many can't seem to get the word "simulate".
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmielke View Post

I fully understand it is legal for them to take the signal from where ever they wish. But, after stepping on they must at least simulate (pause) taking a signal with the hands separated. What I was saying was Im not sure why suddenly so many pitchers seem to be taking the signal off the plate. By doing so it makes them have to make a concious effort to keep the hands apart after stepping on. Just to easy to forget and bring the hands together to quickly at a crucial moment in the game.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I was saying was Im not sure why suddenly so many pitchers seem to be taking the signal off the plate.
I'm also the parent of a pitcher. My kid's pitching coach wants her students to take the signal from behind the pitching plate, so that when she steps onto the plate she can initiate a consistent rhythm in her motion, i.e., doesn't have to wait for the signal which might come right away or might be delayed several seconds (or more) for whatever reason. The pitcher is free to move around behind the plate while she waits for the signal. Then, once she has it, she can step to the plate and use the same rhythm on every pitch. Only problem is making sure the "consistent rhythm" includes a pause before the hands come together. I've actually thought my kid should have been called several times for not pausing, but apparently the blues saw it differently (or didn't see it at all)