The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

PONY Nationals - North Carolina

My first of hopefully many more Nationals (I know it isn't like an ASA National, but still I'm proud of what we lived through - heat and all). I made many good friends, learned so much, and had an incredible time. This all made me a better umpire.

Was anyone else there? I worked mainly the 14U, but did one day of the 12U.

Can't wait for next year, or next time when I can call games again with some of those umpires, who were some of the best I've ever worked with.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Was there a guy from NY named Steve there? White shaggy hair....kinda looks like Captain Kangaroo?

He's one of local guys who does a lot of PONY Nationals....
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Was there a guy from NY named Steve there? White shaggy hair....kinda looks like Captain Kangaroo?

He's one of local guys who does a lot of PONY Nationals....
Steve Dw-ki? In the Goshen area? Maybe a firefighter?
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Steve Dw-ki? In the Goshen area? Maybe a firefighter?
Dworetsky* - used to be an EMS

He is in both our ASA/PONY and school associations...

Hes a good ump - but stubborn..won't go to our State School so he can work state hs tournaments. Why? Because he has problems with a guy with the initials of Jay Miner, who is the NYS inteperter.

*pronounced Dor-ets-ky...
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Steve was not there as far as I know. Brad was there as well as Vinnie and they were both great. There were a few upstate guys there. All great umpires. Brad was my UIC on my first day. He wanted to know if I had gone to a state school and when I said no, he said I should go for the fun of it.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post
Steve was not there as far as I know. Brad was there as well as Vinnie and they were both great. There were a few upstate guys there. All great umpires. Brad was my UIC on my first day. He wanted to know if I had gone to a state school and when I said no, he said I should go for the fun of it.
Oh yeah, its a blast. All the instructors are top flight - including Ed Whipple, who is a top level SEC official, and comes up for the school.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Dworetsky* - used to be an EMS

He is in both our ASA/PONY and school associations...

Hes a good ump - but stubborn..won't go to our State School so he can work state hs tournaments. Why? Because he has problems with a guy with the initials of Jay Miner, who is the NYS inteperter.

*pronounced Dor-ets-ky...

Worked with him in OKC a few years back. Stubborn? There is someone from OC who is stubborn?

Ask him how he feels about facial hair on an umpire and tell him I said hello.
Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire12 View Post
was ken bishop there?..hes from new york..he had been selected to call the last 3 national 16U championship games...a great umpire
I worked one day with Kenny! It was early in the tourney, my second day there. He is an outstanding umpire! He worked the finals of the 18U I think. I did the 14U quarterfinals on third base and the semifinals at the plate and was gone on Friday - the day of the 16 and 18 finals.

If you see Kenny, tell him Jeremy said hello.

I was so lucky to have great UIC's as well. Cindi Arnold, Tom, Gus, Rich, Brad and Larry Despain. I picked up some of the finer points of umpiring and it will make me that much better - to all I worked with and who worked with me, I thank you.

Old Sat Jul 30, 2011, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

I stopped by on Friday night for a little while. Saw KJUmp and had a few beers with him (he sprung for the beers and my burger - thanks again, KJ!). Wanted to meet up with others, but since I was out of state from last Friday morning until Wednesday night and had to call games on Thursday night, my availability was severely limited. There were some other umpires I was hoping to meet up with, but couldn't. To them, I sincerely apologize. I'll buy the first round next year.

Except LIBlueASA. I didn't find out he was here until after the fact. Not that we're friends on Facebook, or anything.

Just kidding, buddy...

Next year, if you come to the PONY Nationals, let me know. I live 5 minutes from Brooks, and if you need anything, feel free to ask. I heard laundry at the hotels was an issue for a couple of guys, and I have a big *** front-loading washer and dryer.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Sat Jul 30, 2011 at 10:35pm.