Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Uh huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
What bell would that be?
If you're referring to the fact that the batter runner is already called out by the umpire on the phantom infield fly you're wrong. If you leave that the way called you now have a protestable situation. You cannot call infield fly with a single runner on base. That's a misapplication of the rule and thereby protestable. Since the ball was not caught you can only put the batter at 1b.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2011, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
If you're referring to the fact that the batter runner is already called out by the umpire on the phantom infield fly you're wrong. If you leave that the way called you now have a protestable situation. You cannot call infield fly with a single runner on base. That's a misapplication of the rule and thereby protestable. Since the ball was not caught you can only put the batter at 1b.
I assume you're replying to shag.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

yes, on a no IFF situation, then must apply rule 10, since an IFF can't be called.

if it's IFF situation, and umpires ring out the IFF, it's rung, and can't be unrung.

I read about no phantom IFF. OP got a fielder dropping the ball after umpires rung the IFF bell, and tried to unring that bell after the fielder dropped the ball. where is this phantom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
yes, on a no IFF situation, then must apply rule 10, since an IFF can't be called.

if it's IFF situation, and umpires ring out the IFF, it's rung, and can't be unrung.

I read about no phantom IFF. OP got a fielder dropping the ball after umpires rung the IFF bell, and tried to unring that bell after the fielder dropped the ball. where is this phantom?

Original post:
Quote:
"Runner on 2nd base with one out. Batter hits a high pop fly to the short stop. Umpire calls "infield fly, batter out!" Batted ball is not caught. Batter, assuming he is out doesn't run but does not enter dugout."
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Huh?

Quote:

En Ingles por favor!!!
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

oh! okay.

then apply rule 10. no bell can be rung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Original post:
Old Thu Jul 21, 2011, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not only CAN it be unrung, but you are REQUIRED to unring it. What, exactly, are you calling the batter out for? What rule do you use to justify you incorrectly and in contradiction to the rules calling him out and leaving him out?

Example - runner stealing 2nd on ball 4 - you don't see the ball call and yell, "OUT!" Everyone else knows it was a walk, and runner stays on 2nd. What do you do? "Sorry coach - I called her out. I can't unring that. She's out."

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

if umpires call IFF on an IFF, then it's a rung bell.

your other example is NOT an IFF situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Not only CAN it be unrung, but you are REQUIRED to unring it. What, exactly, are you calling the batter out for? What rule do you use to justify you incorrectly and in contradiction to the rules calling him out and leaving him out?

Example - runner stealing 2nd on ball 4 - you don't see the ball call and yell, "OUT!" Everyone else knows it was a walk, and runner stays on 2nd. What do you do? "Sorry coach - I called her out. I can't unring that. She's out."
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Absolutely correct. Anyone who thinks it isn't is going to have a good time working the end of the protested game for free.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if umpires call IFF on an IFF, then it's a rung bell.

your other example is NOT an IFF situation.
Neither is the OP.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

making calls on situations that don't apply requires spot on rule 10 fix.

I didn't read that OP correctly initially.

Quote:
Neither is the OP.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
making calls on situations that don't apply requires spot on rule 10 fix.
True, but we DO have rules and interps that exactly cover this situation. If you use Rule 10 more than once every 10 years or so, you're overusing it and making it a crutch for your lack of rules knowledge. Rule 10 lets you do what is right when an airplane crashes into the CF fence during a play ... or when play ends and you somehow have 5 runners on 3 bases and no one can find the ball.

Quote:
I didn't read that OP correctly initially.
Obviously, considering that the ENTIRE POINT of this conversation was how to handle a situation where an umpire calls IFF in a non-IFF situation.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

the rule 10 fix is just what it is, used often or not.

it's rare to have both partners brain fart. partners come in all shapes and sizes. if a partner needs a fix, I just help out, not pontificate the fix, and I would expect the same if I wee in a bind.

I would agree, working solo, something is wrong if invoked too often. I'm not going to insist and justify any frequency. I'll leave that to offenders and pretenders.

I read carelessly when the situation can be explained so simply. I loathe long explanations.

Quote:
True, but we DO have rules and interps that exactly cover this situation. If you use Rule 10 more than once every 10 years or so, you're overusing it and making it a crutch for your lack of rules knowledge. Rule 10 lets you do what is right when an airplane crashes into the CF fence during a play ... or when play ends and you somehow have 5 runners on 3 bases and no one can find the ball.

Obviously, considering that the ENTIRE POINT of this conversation was how to handle a situation where an umpire calls IFF in a non-IFF situation.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

slightly off topic here.......If the IFF rule is to protect the offense from a cheap double play how come its not in effect when there is less then two outs with single runner on 1st base?
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Because the BR will likely beat the double play attempt.