The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

For part of your game management skills watch a few episodes of Dog Whisperer. When you watch Felix in action with a bad dog, imagine the dog as a coach. Dog Whisperer becomes Coach Whisperer.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
For part of your game management skills watch a few episodes of Dog Whisperer. When you watch Felix in action with a bad dog, imagine the dog as a coach. Dog Whisperer becomes Coach Whisperer.
You mean Cesar.

And actually, yes... I have tried a few of these techniques on both coaches and school principals.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Read this:

Top Baseball/Softball Rules Myths, 2011 Edition

It only covers the NFHS softball rules set, (not ASA or USSSA) but does have enough information for anyone new to officiating the sport to get you thinking.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
You mean Cesar.

And actually, yes... I have tried a few of these techniques on both coaches and school principals.
His last name is Millan.
I flashed back to Felix Millan - NY Mets
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
thanks to all for your advice i will certainly use it.

minnesota how do you "slow down" im a basketball official as well and im used to bang bang calls just now moving up in officiating learning how to let the play "develop" any more advice is greatly appreciated

On the basketball court, we teach to not anticipate a play or a call, but to get in position, SEE THE PLAY, then put air in your whistle, or not, as needed.

Same philosophy in softball...get in position, SEE THE PLAY, make the call.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2011, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Going along with the SLOW DOWN and the Fair/Foul...

The ball's not foul until it's foul. A moving ball that has not struck anyone (player, coach, ump) or anything (fence, net) or gone out of play is just a moving ball.

Yeah... it looks foul ... and it's gonna stay foul... OH NO!

Most foul balls don't need to be "called" anyway.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
I agree with what has been posted. The biggest thing I get from players is a comment on how well I hustle to cover a play. Way too many umpires in the SP league I work in make almost every call from behind the plate. Anticipate where the play will be and get there as quick as you can. You may kick a call every now and then but trust me, you will get much less argument if you are out there in position to make the call.
The post on the 5 topics above is very good as well. Those are the calls you will make 95% of the time. The rest will come as you review the rule book and by doing games. If you make a mistake, take the time to learn from it. Don't beat yourself up if you do. Just keep it in your memory bank for future reference.

I enjoy umpiring very much and as a fellow 3 year newbie I almost always learn something, both good or bad, from the people I work with almost every game.

Have a great time.
Agree with that. The first year I umped, I had a bang-bang play at third, called the runner safe, the third baseman looked up, saw that I was on top of the play and says, "It's a good thing you are standing right there blue or we'd be arguing right now." Then he tossed the ball back to the pitcher and didn't say another word.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I forgot to mention...

Don't take your eyes off the ball. Nothing can happen with out it...See Bernie Profato school of umpiring...

I learned how to do an over hand out at NUS when he was an instructor.

And that is over simplified...but its true. "nothing can happen without the ball"
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
And that is over simplified...but its true. "nothing can happen without the ball"
Well, obstruction almost always happens without the ball, because with the ball it's not usually obstruction.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23 View Post
Agree with that. The first year I umped, I had a bang-bang play at third, called the runner safe, the third baseman looked up, saw that I was on top of the play and says, "It's a good thing you are standing right there blue or we'd be arguing right now." Then he tossed the ball back to the pitcher and didn't say another word.
It is nice to get your nose in their once you have seen the play, but don't get in too close too early. Bad things can happen if you are too close to the play.

Quote:
Don't take your eyes off the ball. Nothing can happen with out it...See Bernie Profato school of umpiring...

I learned how to do an over hand out at NUS when he was an instructor.

There are a few times you just have to take your eyes off the ball though. Case in point, summer womens game (mostly college kids)......nobody on and outs don't matter. I am in A.....shallow fly ball towards RF......I bust inside while watching the ball over my right shoulder. Apparently, F3 thought she might also have had a shot at the fly ball and we collide. Damn near knocked both of us off our feet.

In that situation a quick peek at the ball and then watching where I was going would have been the right thing to do.

Joel

Last edited by Gulf Coast Blue; Fri Jul 01, 2011 at 05:37pm.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Also remember, that even with proper mechanics from all umpires in a game, there are certain situations, where there are spots on the field where a pair of eyes wasn't available. And even after a private meeting with your partner(s), if it wasn't seen, it can't be called.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2011, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't take your eyes off the ball. Nothing can happen with out it..
Except for maybe obstruction.........

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Jul 02, 2011, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Also remember, that even with proper mechanics from all umpires in a game, there are certain situations, where there are spots on the field where a pair of eyes wasn't available. And even after a private meeting with your partner(s), if it wasn't seen, it can't be called.
for me the toughest part of officiating in those crazy 1 in 500,00 instances when two umpires or 3 basketball officials miss what ever the fans or gym is screaming about and theres nothing you can do except play on
Old Sat Jul 02, 2011, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
for me the toughest part of officiating in those crazy 1 in 500,00 instances when two umpires or 3 basketball officials miss what ever the fans or gym is screaming about and theres nothing you can do except play on
For the most part though.....fans have no idea what they saw.....they just know they "saw something"......

Joel
Old Sat Jul 02, 2011, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Except for maybe obstruction.........
...or UC, or INT or a missed base or an injury or .......well, a load of things can happen without the ball.

While it is true that the umpire needs to find the ball and be aware of where it is, I disagree with the comment of always watch the ball. As noted, "over simplified", but it is a too simplistic a comment which too many take to heart, including some UICs. I once received a phone call from an umpire at a NC who was told by the UIC to not worry about watching the BR touch 1B instead of watching the ball which was at the fence in left field.

When on the field, we all have specific assignments and a good portion of those jobs do not involve watching the ball. You learn to find the ball and adjust, if necessary.