The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

IFF rule mechanics

I'm in C position, IFF rule in effect, high pop-up between F3 and F4, both (could be) camped out underneath, both calling for it, neither hears the other, and of course, it is not caught.

At its apex, the IFF was called properly, and when it hit the ground, I did stress "batter's out" once or twice more (not yelling like a lunatic, but reinforcing the call)

Is this proper mechanics? Gray area, depending on age group?
Old Mon Jul 04, 2011, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
I'm in C position, IFF rule in effect, high pop-up between F3 and F4, both (could be) camped out underneath, both calling for it, neither hears the other, and of course, it is not caught.

At its apex, the IFF was called properly, and when it hit the ground, I did stress "batter's out" once or twice more (not yelling like a lunatic, but reinforcing the call)

Is this proper mechanics? Gray area, depending on age group?
I assume you meant the PU raised his/her right hand and declared the batted ball an IF. Stating the "batter's out" at the time of the original declaration is no big deal, but at that point, the umpire crew needs to move on with the remainder of the play. Repeating the "batter's out" could be considered coaching either team, all depends on how you look at it.