The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Baiting a coach by warning him to back off to avoid physical contact, because that is exactly what would have happened next. For that matter, I am conviced that is exactly what would have happened had JS not covered his partner's back.
"Get out of my face" is not what most would consider an appropriate way to warn a coach. Plenty other ways to keep from exhibiting the same behavior you're trying to stop.

Sloan did his job. I wouldn't expect anything less from an umpire at this level.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"Get out of my face" is not what most would consider an appropriate way to warn a coach. Plenty other ways to keep from exhibiting the same behavior you're trying to stop.

Sloan did his job. I wouldn't expect anything less from an umpire at this level.
I'll bite....

what else in place of 'get out of my face' should have been said? (if I missed it in this thread, my bad)

I am not saying you are wrong, just looking for a different stance to get the same point across.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2011, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
I would agree to a point since I never let anyone that close to me without getting rid of them.

However, I have absolutely no problem with JKs words (assuming that is what was said) to some moron, coach or otherwise, that shouldn't be there to start.

You don't want to handle it that way, fine, do whatever works for you. That doesn't mean others are wrong for addressing it in a different manner.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmafia View Post
i would agree to a point since i never let anyone that close to me without getting rid of them.

However, i have absolutely no problem with jks words (assuming that is what was said) to some moron, coach or otherwise, that shouldn't be there to start.

You don't want to handle it that way, fine, do whatever works for you. That doesn't mean others are wrong for addressing it in a different manner.
+1
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

OK, isn't one of the first things to say is, "Coach, calm down." and take a half-step back?
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
OK, isn't one of the first things to say is, "Coach, calm down." and take a half-step back?
Do you do that before or after Earlywine charges you, drops to point to a spot on the foul line and then gets in your face?

Every situation is different and the umpire has to deal with each one accordingly.

If I have to step back, the coach/player it's quite possibly gone, s/he just doesn't know it yet.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Do you do that before or after Earlywine charges you, drops to point to a spot on the foul line and then gets in your face?

Every situation is different and the umpire has to deal with each one accordingly.

If I have to step back, the coach/player it's quite possibly gone, s/he just doesn't know it yet.
These are good points; and yes, it is highly situational.

Did the PU go out too far up the 3b line to meet Earlywine at the spot so that when he came up from pointing at the ground that he was close enough to have coach in his face? I dunno.

If you take the half-step back that just gives you a little more room to sell the ejection.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2011, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
These are good points; and yes, it is highly situational.

Did the PU go out too far up the 3b line to meet Earlywine at the spot so that when he came up from pointing at the ground that he was close enough to have coach in his face? I dunno.
Well, the PU came up the line, like he is supposed to for making such a call. He actually had to work around the catcher to get a look. The call was immediate upon F5 reaching and covering the ball. He did step up to point to the spot of the ball at the time of the call, presumably because he was already hearing the protest. From that point, JK did not move toward the coach.

Would it have helped if he took a step back? In this case, I doubt it. Could it in other instances? Maybe, but I've never seen a retreating umpire stop a player/coach from closing any gap. People believe getting into the umpire's face is part of the game.

Quote:
If you take the half-step back that just gives you a little more room to sell the ejection.
That's space I don't need since I don't sell ejections people take the all on their own.