The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

8-2-e Runners lane interference

I'm sorry but I'm only an OBR Baseball Umpire. I only have access to OBR baseball rules. Could someone please quote for me in it's entirety the rule concerning Runners Lane Interference (I think it's 8-2-e) (FED HS Girls Fastpitch). Thanks. I couldn't find an online link.
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
I'm sorry but I'm only an OBR Baseball Umpire. I only have access to OBR baseball rules. Could someone please quote for me in it's entirety the rule concerning Runners Lane Interference (I think it's 8-2-e) (FED HS Girls Fastpitch). Thanks. I couldn't find an online link.
Odd, unless Fed just happens to match perfectly with ASA on this one rule, or the 8-2-E you seek is actually the ASA rule.

Is there a specific scenario that you have?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry. You are correct. The number I listed was from an ASA website. I Simply need the FED rule for RLI.
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

ART. 5 . . . She runs outside the three-foot (0.91m) lane and, in the judgment
of the umpire, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base (there must be a throw); however, the batter-runner may run outside the three-foot (0.91m) lane to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball. A runner is considered outside the running lane if either foot is completely outside the lane and in contact with the ground.

Paul
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.Ump View Post
of the umpire, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base (there must be a throw); however, the batter-runner may run outside the three-foot (0.91m) lane to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball. A runner is considered outside the running lane if either foot is completely outside the lane and in contact with the ground.

Paul
Thanks. Is the 3 foot wide lane described verbally somewhere in the rulebook(ie. the last half of the distance between home and first) or is it a dimensioned graphic?
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. Is the 3 foot wide lane described verbally somewhere in the rulebook(ie. the last half of the distance between home and first) or is it a dimensioned graphic?
Rule 2
SECTION 58 THREE-FOOT RUNNING LANE
The three-foot running lane is the space defined by a line drawn 3 feet from and parallel to the first base foul line starting halfway between home and first base and extending to first base in foul territory.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.Ump View Post

Paul
Wording as above is where these myths originate.

If a defender is fielding a batted ball anywhere, s/he cannot be in the act of taking a throw at 1st which is necessary for a 3' lane violation.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Wording as above is where these myths originate.

If a defender is fielding a batted ball anywhere, s/he cannot be in the act of taking a throw at 1st which is necessary for a 3' lane violation.
And the fact that NFHS can have a lane violation on a Base on Balls.........

Frickin Fedlandia.........

Joel
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post

Joel
I'm just waiting for that one to happen. I haven't seen it yet, but I know when I do, the offensive coach is going to come UNGLUED...
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post

Joel
Again, I apologize for being an OBR baseball guy asking softball questions but in what scenario could the above mentioned infraction (RLI on a BOB) potentially take place?
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Again, I apologize for being an OBR baseball guy asking softball questions but in what scenario could the above mentioned infraction (RLI on a BOB) potentially take place?
In FP Softball the ball is live when the batter becomes a batter-runner during a base on balls situation. Some teams will have their runners round 1st and go to second. This is normally done with a runner at third. If they throw to second to get the out, the runner from third advances home. Some teams will defend this by throwing down to first base. If the runner interferes with this throw while out of the running lane we have interference.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
In FP Softball the ball is live when the batter becomes a batter-runner during a base on balls situation. Some teams will have their runners round 1st and go to second. This is normally done with a runner at third. If they throw to second to get the out, the runner from third advances home. Some teams will defend this by throwing down to first base. If the runner interferes with this throw while out of the running lane we have interference.
Yep. NFHS Casebook 8.2.5 Situation B.
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
So in the above mentioned scenario, is the B/R out or is R3 out? I assume it is delayed/immediate dead ball depending on if the throw actually contacted the runner or not?
Old Wed Jun 01, 2011, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So in the above mentioned scenario, is the B/R out or is R3 out? I assume it is delayed/immediate dead ball depending on if the throw actually contacted the runner or not?
In softball, interference is always an immediate dead ball, and the player who committed the interference is out (unless already out or not an active runner), and other runners return to the last base at the time of the interference.

The Fed ruling is silly, since that defensive "play" is mainly attractive for teams with poor defensive skills. Skilled teams merely return the ball to the pitcher, leaving all defensive options still open for runners off their bases. But, there are a lot of teams that can't do a couple of quick throws without a near 100% chance of an error. Hence, this is viewed as a real "play". JMO, of course.