The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Baylor vs Georgia

Did I just hear the THs right? The PU ruled a ball off the knob foul because it hit in foul ground before moving into the infield?

I really, REALLY hope they are getting bad information because that is not good.
Old Sat May 28, 2011, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I am running on a bit of DVR delay and just saw the play... in the initial conference with the head coach the PU seemed to be indicating that she ruled it first hit the bat, then the hand, which of course would be a foul ball.

A couple of batters earlier I swear I heard the UGA public address announcer introduce the batter as "the designated hitter",
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
I am running on a bit of DVR delay and just saw the play... in the initial conference with the head coach the PU seemed to be indicating that she ruled it first hit the bat, then the hand, which of course would be a foul ball.

A couple of batters earlier I swear I heard the UGA public address announcer introduce the batter as "the designated hitter",
That's what I thought was the only possible true ruling. I couldn't see anything when I ran it over again.

Rita
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

I sure couldn't tell even in slow motion on my DVR. But if you watch the PUs gestures as she is first explaining it to the HC you see her first point at the bottom of her fist as if it were the knob of the bat then at her hand as if to say first it hit the knob then it hit her hand.
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I sure couldn't tell even in slow motion on my DVR. But if you watch the PUs gestures as she is first explaining it to the HC you see her first point at the bottom of her fist as if it were the knob of the bat then at her hand as if to say first it hit the knob then it hit her hand.
That is a tough call for the PU to make and the batter's reaction on the contact was more of an "oh, ****, I gotta run". She didn't hesitate for a micro-second once she saw the ball in fair territory, but neither did DN on calling it foul which as we all know at this point is a bell which cannot be unrung regardless of the outcome.

Afterwards, the batter seemed to be showing her coach something, but on the replay, it didn't look like her left hand was over or really down on the knob.
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Did anyone see Cal vs Kentucky Sat morning early innings? (I think) KU batter takes a pitch near the hands and the bat handle and appears to either have a foul ball or HP. PU signals deadball and batter doesn't really make a move towards first but is holding her hand. PU appears to be looking at partners for some help then walks over to batter and coach near the 1st base dugout. PU asked to see wrist (batter removes batting glove) PU 'sees' mark on wrist, and then signals award to 1st.

I am sure there is more to the story that TeVee didn't show but I thought the situation was odd.
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
Did anyone see Cal vs Kentucky Sat morning early innings? (I think) KU batter takes a pitch near the hands and the bat handle and appears to either have a foul ball or HP. PU signals deadball and batter doesn't really make a move towards first but is holding her hand. PU appears to be looking at partners for some help then walks over to batter and coach near the 1st base dugout. PU asked to see wrist (batter removes batting glove) PU 'sees' mark on wrist, and then signals award to 1st.

I am sure there is more to the story that TeVee didn't show but I thought the situation was odd.
Somewhat unorthodox and certainly in not in any umpire manual, but a method to resolve an issue. Good for the umpire to take the necessary action.
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Nice IP call by U3 both feet clearly in the air. Not sure why HC feels he has to argue it.
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

He didn't argue the 2nd one.

Wheels coming off for Baylor now..
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Game 3 bot 4

Baylor hitter called out for out of the box. Great mechanic by PU. However, heel was on the line(3/4 of foot in front of plate)
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txump81 View Post
Game 3 bot 4

Baylor hitter called out for out of the box. Great mechanic by PU. However, heel was on the line(3/4 of foot in front of plate)
I doubt the batter wears a size 36 shoe.
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

This is 2nd time he has called her for making contact with foot out of the box. I am going to defer to PU as he was 3 feet away and we are looking at camera view from center field. What I did notice was the entire foot was planted, whereas on the previous pitch when the crowd was yelling for the call only the batters toe was on the ground with the heel still in the air and (IMO from TV view) over but not touching the line of the batter's box. A good no call.
Old Sun May 29, 2011, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is 2nd time he has called her for making contact with foot out of the box. I am going to defer to PU as he was 3 feet away and we are looking at camera view from center field. What I did notice was the entire foot was planted, whereas on the previous pitch when the crowd was yelling for the call only the batters toe was on the ground with the heel still in the air and (IMO from TV view) over but not touching the line of the batter's box. A good no call.
Well, by rule, the batter should be called out, but like you, I'll defer to the PU on site and agree, if the foot is "over" the white line, I understand why an umpire would give the batter the benefit of any doubt. Not a call you guess on.
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I watched these games on DVR delay Sunday and Monday. I couldn't wait to get here and see if y'all had seen the same things I noticed.

The talking heads had moments where they did seem to know what they were talking about. More than usual in fact. But, yeah, the comment about the ball hitting in foul territory first did concern me. And it did take them forever to figure out that the slapper was stepping in front of (if not on) the plate.

The PU for Georgia/Baylor looked very familiar. I think I've seen her doing ASA in SC.
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
I watched these games on DVR delay Sunday and Monday. I couldn't wait to get here and see if y'all had seen the same things I noticed.

The talking heads had moments where they did seem to know what they were talking about. More than usual in fact. But, yeah, the comment about the ball hitting in foul territory first did concern me. And it did take them forever to figure out that the slapper was stepping in front of (if not on) the plate.

The PU for Georgia/Baylor looked very familiar. I think I've seen her doing ASA in SC.
Nah. DN is from SoCal.