The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I have been working on our local association's website and would like some feedback from you guys.
What do you think about it, and what could it use more of/less of etc.

Thanks for looking and replying
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Angry I am moron........

Somehow I forgot to add the website address.

http://www.hcuasoftball.org

Jeez, I guess that I haven't gotten awake yet.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Warning to northern umps, he has posted the temp in florida in the lower left of the home page, as a friendly gesture I believe that he should just post in Centigrade, 19 C this morning which is still higher than the temp is here in F, until we've finished the review. To be serious, looks good, it shows that a lot of work went into it, but you asked so here's some comments. Correct your header on the home page, I'm always annoyed by pages that don't fit on a screen unless there's a beutiful woman involved, no offense intended Elaine. Also the link to Update on the home page is missing. Ump quiz not there, and finaly, when you say "meet our staff" the viewer is expecting pictures and or bios not e-mail so you might want to change that to "contact" instead. Great job though and let us know when you get the quiz page done. Jim
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

hmmm

Header on the home page?
I can see it all with no problem.
Describe the problem you see in an email if you will,
[email protected] or
[email protected]

and let me know in an email what is wrong.
I know some users of AOL see a strange effect and wonder if that is happening to you
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

scottk_61,

Looks great so far. Had no problem with the header page on
my screen. Man, great way to collect some operating money with
all the fines.

May have overlooked it, but did not see guest book.

Great job so far. Good luck.

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
I have been working on our local association's website and would like some feedback from you guys.
What do you think about it, and what could it use more of/less of etc.

Thanks for looking and replying
Not bad, pretty good start.

I was disappointed the "UMP Quiz" was not available.

I am interested in a few points of the uniform. Do you actually require white T-shirts to have the Assn. logo, or am I reading that wrong and it means it may have the logo.

I also prefer the 3-ring blue on knee-high white socks with shorts. But I was surprised you mentioned a watch.

I have no problem carrying a watch, but not wearing it on one's wrist unless wearing a jacket and can keep it under the sleeve. We insist players not wear jewelry on the field for safety reasons and I don't believe a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude is the best to display. I have seen collisions involving umpires where the watch could be dangerous. I've also seen an umpire's watch reflect a glare which bothered the pitcher. And I love the umpires who obnoxiously want to know how they know when to start or stop a game if they can't wear a watch. They have no problem keeping other tools of the game in their pocket like an indicator, brush, line-up card, pen/pencil or a flipping coin. I don't see why a watch would have to be treated different to perform the job for which it is required.

Just as an umpire stops the game to have a vehicle putting off a glare moved, I have asked coaches to remove a watch reflecting the sun. Same response as the not-so-smart umpire. And I reply the same to the coach as I would to the umpire. Just one more little thing we don't need on the field as an excuse.

Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Yup, I agree Mike

I agree with much of what you are saying Mike,
I am just a peon who does what the local association declares.......
The watch of course is for time limit games that are almost always played at night in the adult leagues and most everyone carries it in their pocket or hangs one on the fence.

The socks are an item of particular debate here, short versus long, but all white is the preferred choice.
You have been down here in this area so you know what the weather is like in the summer so our uniform is modified somewhat.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Yup, I agree Mike

Quote:
I agree with much of what you are saying Mike,
I am just a peon who does what the local association declares.......
The watch of course is for time limit games that are almost always played at night in the adult leagues and most everyone carries it in their pocket or hangs one on the fence.

The socks are an item of particular debate here, short versus long, but all white is the preferred choice.
You have been down here in this area so you know what the weather is like in the summer so our uniform is modified somewhat.
Yep. I worked a bundle of games in FL last year. More than a dozen in Plant City in June and another nine in Pensacola in Aug. Both places have a high level of humidity and taking a shower is usually a waste of time. In Pensacola, it was in the 90's by 7:45 AM and got warmer as the day progressed, but the humidity was just attrocious.

And those were all in Class A uniforms!

Personally, I don't care for the short socks and insist on the 3-rings for tournaments. However, the only thing I ask is that they are up when you walk onto the field. After that, I believe umpires have better things to worry about than the need for garters to hold up their stocks.

Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Plant City in July.....hot

I knew you had been in Plant City for the ISF stuff, some of our guys worked with you and of course you met Rocky didn't you?
I life only about 7 miles from where you were in the stadium but I was gone working other games while you were here, sorry I missed getting to see you.
I will be at the UIC clinic next month in OK City along with some of our other guys so I will miss the next ISF event (at least I think it is at the same time)
Old Sun Jan 19, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Plant City in July.....hot

Quote:
I knew you had been in Plant City for the ISF stuff, some of our guys worked with you and of course you met Rocky didn't you?
I life only about 7 miles from where you were in the stadium but I was gone working other games while you were here, sorry I missed getting to see you.
I will be at the UIC clinic next month in OK City along with some of our other guys so I will miss the next ISF event (at least I think it is at the same time)
Yep, it turns out Rocky's uncle umpires many state tournaments for me. Unfortunately, Rocky and his uncle do not speak and when my partner and I mentioned his name, Rocky told us in no uncertain terms that if we mentioned it again, we would not be welcomed in his office.

I'll be in OKC, also. I'll try to catch up to you while there.

Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Legal problems

In the event of a forfeit, if teams wish to play a practice game, umpires are required to umpire.

This is big no no in our chapter and something you might want to check into. We are told not to umpire because if something would happen to a player or the umpire during the practice game ASA insurance will NOT cover you!!

My understanding

Don
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Legal problems

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
In the event of a forfeit, if teams wish to play a practice game, umpires are required to umpire.

This is big no no in our chapter and something you might want to check into. We are told not to umpire because if something would happen to a player or the umpire during the practice game ASA insurance will NOT cover you!!

My understanding

Don
Don,

This is basically true and, once again, a problem within our litigious society, you're just asking for trouble. And it doesn't mean a thing if all the players agree to not hold the umpire responsible for any problems or injuries.

The moment a person hands an insurance card to a hospital, clinic, doctor's office asst. etc., the insurance company has every right to attempt to recover any expenses which may place the umpire in jeopardy. If the game is considered non-sanctioned, ASA's supplimental may or may not cover you, I'm not sure.

There is no positive side to working a pick-up game. I go through this about 3 times a season and just explain that they can do whatever they want, I just cannot be part of it. Every now and then I get a "don't you want the money?" with a smile on their face until I tell them I'll get paid without working the game.

Have I done it before? Yes. Will I do it now? No, too much to lose. And yes, I've had a team draw a couple of players from the other team only to whoop up on the team who won by forfeit only to report their "wins" to the league. Then the league calls me to straighten things out. Trust me, it isn't worth the problems.

Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

forfeit games

I agree with the forfeited games issue but the softball program here (adult) is run by the county and we are required to officiate a practice game if the players ask.
I will bring up the insurance issue to the again and see what happens.

See......this is why I asked you guys to take a look, your experience can help my association get better.

Scott
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: forfeit games

Quote:
I agree with the forfeited games issue but the softball program here (adult) is run by the county and we are required to officiate a practice game if the players ask.
I will bring up the insurance issue to the again and see what happens.

See......this is why I asked you guys to take a look, your experience can help my association get better.

Scott
I would assume the county would assume liability. After all, your attorney would probably file against them should you face litigation involving this issue.

ASA's insurance may cover it, but they could possibly state that a non-reg game doesn't fall under it's sanctioning. I guess the only was to find out is to ask.

See you in OKC.