View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Mens FP here in AZ was big in the 70s and early 80s. Almost every city of any size had a local league and there was a statewide league that played on the weekends as well. There were always large tournaments on each of the holiday weekends during the summer.

These days, slowpitch has taken over for much the same reasons that Greymule cited. I've also noticed that none of the younger kids are learning how to pitch.

I did work a month long Mens league last year here in Phoenix, four teams, doubleheaders once a week, pretty laid back. I know of three solid active teams around here with a few others scattered around the state. These guys all knew each other, were just out for some exercise and fun. Some moaning and griping on balls and strikes and close plays, but nowhere near the stuff that happens on a SP game.

Phoenix hosted the Mens 45 & over FP ASA national last September, these guys were more serious as could be expected at a national, but still fairly laid back.

I do wear the full gear no matter what level I'm working. I don't think I got hit with any more frequency in the Men's games I did, but it did sting more because the ball was coming in faster.

I'd sure like to see Men's FP make a comeback - it's a fun game to watch and call.