View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

It seems as though most discussion on this board is about adult SP or school age girls FP. So while it is quiet, I would like your thoughts about Men's FP.

FP is my game; I played it as a young man, I've coached both rec level and high school, and call NatFed. I didn't play SP, and don't believe that I would have any tolerance for the antics of adult SP players.

Now that I am retiring I would like more work in the summer and I am looking at JO FP and/or Men's FP. I was asked to help out last summer as a BU in a men's game. Initially I wasn't sure if I could keep up, but it wasn't too bad. It is definitely a faster game (than NatFed) but with practice I believe that I will be alright.

My questions: what are your experiences with adult men (or women) in FP leagues vs adult SP? Are adults in rec leagues jerks whatever the sport? Or are the FP players a little more serious and professional?

Second: what about equipment? I see a lot of umps wearing only a mask. (But they also hide more behind the catcher rather than working the slot.) Do you trust that 25 yr old catcher to protect you? (At the same time I never see catchers in full gear.)

Thanks for your thoughts.