The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 01:50pm

Pre-game warmup question

Fed rules:
I had this question posed to me and thought I'd let some of your knowledgeable folks chew on this.

Is it permissible for (or would you allow) the pitcher to throw warm up pitches from the actual pitching plate while her team is taking pre-game infield?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'd want to see a rule reference from anyone who says "No."
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Don't they do that between innings?
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Don't they do that between innings?
You mean your fields don't have a Practice Pitcher's Plate (PPP) installed for warm ups?
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
I'd want to see a rule reference from anyone who says "No."
How about the one that goes something like if not explicitly covered in the rules the ump gets to make a ruling.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2011, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Just for safety reasons I would say no. Just think of mommy and daddy in front of The Judge saying you put the little girl in danger with your gross neglegence. There is way too many opportunities for the pitcher to warm up elsewhere.

Just my thoughts on the question.
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Fed rules:
I had this question posed to me and thought I'd let some of your knowledgeable folks chew on this.

Is it permissible for (or would you allow) the pitcher to throw warm up pitches from the actual pitching plate while her team is taking pre-game infield?
I don't do Fed.
Question... By NFHS rule, do umpires (beyond doing any required bat/equipment checks) have any on field authority prior to the exchange of lineups at home plate?
Old Sun Apr 17, 2011, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Yes. The umpire's jurisdiction begins upon entering "the confines of the field" (10-1-2).
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 07:26am

Now... let me give you the rest of the story.

Apparently there is a school in our area that likes their pitcher to pitch from the game pitcher's plate while the rest of the team is taking infield/outfield. I had a fellow umpire ask me what I thought of such a practice. My response was, "There's nothing in the rules book against it. As far as I'm concerned, the field is theirs to use as they see fit while they run their infield."

During infield warm ups, I've seen pitchers throw actual pitches to catchers for the purpose of catchers throwing down to various bases to practice pickoffs, etc. I've not had a problem with that.

The umpire who had this occur in their game contacted the state association which has responded pitchers should not warm up from the circle during infield practice as it is a safety issue. Just curious what the rest of you thought.

Thanks for the discussion.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...pitchers should not warm up from the circle during infield practice as it is a safety issue....
What are the rest of the players doing? I can see it being a safety issue if someone is using a bat to hit the ball to the other fielders. If not, how this is different from what goes on while the pitcher is taking her warm-up pitches between innings?
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 09:35am

Quote:
What are the rest of the players doing? I can see it being a safety issue if someone is using a bat to hit the ball to the other fielders. If not, how this is different from what goes on while the pitcher is taking her warm-up pitches between innings?

As stated, the other players are taking regular infield/outfield practice. Yes, there's a coach hitting balls to the pitcher's teammates while she throws from the circle.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

As stated, the other players are taking regular infield/outfield practice. Yes, there's a coach hitting balls to the pitcher's teammates while she throws from the circle.
How about ask to the coach whether he/she thinks it might be dangerous? That would avoid neglect on your part if that is your concern.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even hitting a ball, does a pitcher not need fielding practice?

I don't understand their reasoning as I see no more a safety concern than with any other actions any of the players are taking.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fed rules:

I believe I allow this every single game I work... what's the question?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 18, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The umpire who had this occur in their game contacted the state association which has responded pitchers should not warm up from the circle during infield practice as it is a safety issue. Just curious what the rest of you thought.

Thanks for the discussion.
If the idiots consider this a safety issue they should put it in the book. That opinion is ludicrous.

West Houston Mike