The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

substitution rule

can someone clarify an asa girls fastpitch rule, once you submit an original line up of players / batting order, can you substitute another player for one of the original players in the line up or must you bat through the complete line up once before any substitutions are made to the batting order

thanks much
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunnertc View Post
can someone clarify an asa girls fastpitch rule, once you submit an original line up of players / batting order, can you substitute another player for one of the original players in the line up or must you bat through the complete line up once before any substitutions are made to the batting order

thanks much
You can make a change at any time after the lineups are official. You do not have to wait until the second time around.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

You can even make a substitution at the plate meeting.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

thanks much, we have some strange local bylaws here. they are making us bat the entire line up before we can substitute but we are required to make sure all girls get at least one at bat and play at least one inning in the field - makes it tough at times to get them all in
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunnertc View Post
thanks much, we have some strange local bylaws here. they are making us bat the entire line up before we can substitute but we are required to make sure all girls get at least one at bat and play at least one inning in the field - makes it tough at times to get them all in
Our local league bylaws require batting the roster with free substitution on defense. I think there are requirements for number of innings on defense for each player, but we let the parents police that.

If that approach or some variant seems easier to manage, you might suggest it to your league administrators for next year.
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
Our local league bylaws require batting the roster with free substitution on defense. I think there are requirements for number of innings on defense for each player, but we let the parents police that.

If that approach or some variant seems easier to manage, you might suggest it to your league administrators for next year.
Agreed - most league ball around here is done the same way. Even up to 16U.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 07, 2012, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Local league rules----something that should never exist.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2012, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahtboi View Post
local league rules----something that should never exist.
+1
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

nothing wrong with a few local rules IMO if they make sense for that league/age and they are understood by all
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
nothing wrong with a few local rules IMO if they make sense for that league/age and they are understood by all
Make sense and understood? OK!
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Make sense and understood? OK!
Multiple organisations, even in one country, I can understand. However, one sport, one set of rules!
Do they play basketball in Russia with another rule-set, compared to the NBA? I guess not. Soccer in Rio is the same as, right now played, in Poland/Ukraine.

Softball should be played all over the world with the same rules. I don't think it make sense to have local bylaws and I will not understand it either. I do, however, know how it happened that we have several organisations and it makes me sad. I wish all of us can accept the concept of one rule-set; I.m.h.o. that should be ASA or ISF...

(Let me be a dreamer: peace in our days, all working together, Softball back at Olympus)

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
Multiple organisations, even in one country, I can understand. However, one sport, one set of rules!
Do they play basketball in Russia with another rule-set, compared to the NBA? I guess not. Soccer in Rio is the same as, right now played, in Poland/Ukraine.

Softball should be played all over the world with the same rules. I don't think it make sense to have local bylaws and I will not understand it either. I do, however, know how it happened that we have several organisations and it makes me sad. I wish all of us can accept the concept of one rule-set; I.m.h.o. that should be ASA or ISF...

(Let me be a dreamer: peace in our days, all working together, Softball back at Olympus)
Gawd, you are the dreamer, Sander.
One rule set would be beautiful for us umpires and probably great for the coaches and players - but there are people involed - so we have politics., and that just won't sit with those folks.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post

by the way they do play basketball in Russia with a different rule set than the NBA
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Post League rules

Leagues should be permitted to create any of their own rules they want. They pay to play. As umpires we are required to know the different league rules. That's why we get paid the big bucks, right? Remember the teams are our clients- we serve their needs , not the other way around. Oh, and as for having different rules in the same game- AL has a DH and the NL does not.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2012, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASABLUE View Post
Leagues should be permitted to create any of their own rules they want. They pay to play. As umpires we are required to know the different league rules. That's why we get paid the big bucks, right? Remember the teams are our clients- we serve their needs , not the other way around. Oh, and as for having different rules in the same game- AL has a DH and the NL does not.
That's true, but there is no requirement that we umpire those leagues.

And yet, when MLB plays interleague the visting team has to play by the umpire's rules, right?