The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I am the Referee in a JV match. Team B attempts to substitute 35 for 27. Umpire signals illegal substitution and loss of rally/point. At the end of the match, I asked what he had on the call. He said 35 tried to enter for 27 who had already replaced starter 33. He told the coach that the only person who could re-enter for 27 was the starter 33. Is this correct? I thought anyone could enter into that position in the rotation as long as they had not entered into any other position during this particular game. Is their a specific rule stating who can enter in as a replacement? Please help.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

My goodness, Tony, where ever do you find these officials?

You are, of course, correct. All the rule sets I'm familiar with, including NFHS rules which I assume your high school teams are playing by, allow any player to enter in any position and substitute for any player provided only that they'd not previously been in the game. Once they enter the game, either as a starter or a substitute, they are locked in that position for the remainder of the game but they are not the only player who may substitute in that position - any player not previously in the game or any player previously in that position may enter in that position as a substitute.

In any case, the penalty for illegal substitution is an unnecessary delay and a charged time out to the offending team. It becomes a point/loss of rally penalty if and only if the team has already used its two allowed time outs.

I'm thinking the folks in your association need to read their rule books a bit more carefully.

-Homer-

Old Sun Sep 26, 2004, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Again, thanks for the reply. Because I am a new official, I presumed the assignors would be hooking me up with people who were experienced and excell in their field - hoping to teach me all the right things to do as I gain experience. I have done nine matches already this season, but I am very disappointed in some of the officials with whom I have worked. Because I am the rookie, I am not questioning calls from " veterans " thinking they must know what they are doing. However, I am more convinced than ever that I may know more than many of the people with whom I am working. I would like to continue to use this forum to get feedback - if you can put up with what may seem like simple questions. I love this game and want to put forth the best effort possible every time I put on the OHSAA Logo ( I'm in Ohio ). I believe I can learn a lot from here as I have on the baseball forum for umpiring.

Thanks again.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 11, 2004, 01:55pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Tony, it is hard when you are a new official and you are assigned to work with someone who doesn't know the rules. How did that individual ever pass the tests to receive a Class 1 permit?

I started out in Ohio and refereed volleyball, baseball/softball and basketball for 10 years before I took a job transfer that brought me to California. The one thing that I have really gotten to appreciate is the requirement that we take (and pass) the rules test each year to remain certified to officiate.

One thing you might consider is contacting OVR and seeing about refereeing USAV Jr. Club Volleyball. You will get far more experience in one season doing that than you will in 5 years of high school officiating.

Good luck. BTW, where in Ohio are you located? I grew up in NW Ohio (West Unity, Williams County) and was an officer in the District 7 Volleyball Officials Association.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)