The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   substitution rule (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91565-substitution-rule.html)

ridgerunnertc Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:47pm

substitution rule

can someone clarify an asa girls fastpitch rule, once you submit an original line up of players / batting order, can you substitute another player for one of the original players in the line up or must you bat through the complete line up once before any substitutions are made to the batting order

thanks much

azbigdawg Wed Jun 06, 2012 03:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridgerunnertc (Post 844924)
can someone clarify an asa girls fastpitch rule, once you submit an original line up of players / batting order, can you substitute another player for one of the original players in the line up or must you bat through the complete line up once before any substitutions are made to the batting order

thanks much

You can make a change at any time after the lineups are official. You do not have to wait until the second time around.

Crabby_Bob Wed Jun 06, 2012 08:52am

You can even make a substitution at the plate meeting.

ridgerunnertc Wed Jun 06, 2012 03:14pm

thanks much, we have some strange local bylaws here. they are making us bat the entire line up before we can substitute but we are required to make sure all girls get at least one at bat and play at least one inning in the field - makes it tough at times to get them all in

Jake26 Wed Jun 06, 2012 06:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridgerunnertc (Post 845021)
thanks much, we have some strange local bylaws here. they are making us bat the entire line up before we can substitute but we are required to make sure all girls get at least one at bat and play at least one inning in the field - makes it tough at times to get them all in

Our local league bylaws require batting the roster with free substitution on defense. I think there are requirements for number of innings on defense for each player, but we let the parents police that. :)

If that approach or some variant seems easier to manage, you might suggest it to your league administrators for next year.

MD Longhorn Thu Jun 07, 2012 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake26 (Post 845064)
Our local league bylaws require batting the roster with free substitution on defense. I think there are requirements for number of innings on defense for each player, but we let the parents police that. :)

If that approach or some variant seems easier to manage, you might suggest it to your league administrators for next year.

Agreed - most league ball around here is done the same way. Even up to 16U.

Skahtboi Thu Jun 07, 2012 04:08pm

Local league rules----something that should never exist.

Umpteenth Fri Jun 08, 2012 07:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by skahtboi (Post 845211)
local league rules----something that should never exist.

+1

3afan Sat Jun 09, 2012 05:34am

nothing wrong with a few local rules IMO if they make sense for that league/age and they are understood by all

CecilOne Sat Jun 09, 2012 06:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 845391)
nothing wrong with a few local rules IMO if they make sense for that league/age and they are understood by all

Make sense and understood? OK! :p :D

Dutch Alex Sat Jun 09, 2012 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 845393)
Make sense and understood? OK! :p :D

Multiple organisations, even in one country, I can understand. However, one sport, one set of rules!
Do they play basketball in Russia with another rule-set, compared to the NBA? I guess not. Soccer in Rio is the same as, right now played, in Poland/Ukraine.

Softball should be played all over the world with the same rules. I don't think it make sense to have local bylaws and I will not understand it either. I do, however, know how it happened that we have several organisations and it makes me sad. I wish all of us can accept the concept of one rule-set; I.m.h.o. that should be ASA or ISF...

(Let me be a dreamer: peace in our days, all working together, Softball back at Olympus)

Steve M Sat Jun 09, 2012 06:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Alex (Post 845421)
Multiple organisations, even in one country, I can understand. However, one sport, one set of rules!
Do they play basketball in Russia with another rule-set, compared to the NBA? I guess not. Soccer in Rio is the same as, right now played, in Poland/Ukraine.

Softball should be played all over the world with the same rules. I don't think it make sense to have local bylaws and I will not understand it either. I do, however, know how it happened that we have several organisations and it makes me sad. I wish all of us can accept the concept of one rule-set; I.m.h.o. that should be ASA or ISF...

(Let me be a dreamer: peace in our days, all working together, Softball back at Olympus)

Gawd, you are the dreamer, Sander.
One rule set would be beautiful for us umpires and probably great for the coaches and players - but there are people involed - so we have politics., and that just won't sit with those folks.

3afan Sat Jun 09, 2012 07:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutch Alex (Post 845421)

by the way they do play basketball in Russia with a different rule set than the NBA

ASABLUE Sat Jun 09, 2012 07:27pm

League rules

Leagues should be permitted to create any of their own rules they want. They pay to play. As umpires we are required to know the different league rules. That's why we get paid the big bucks, right? Remember the teams are our clients- we serve their needs , not the other way around. Oh, and as for having different rules in the same game- AL has a DH and the NL does not.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jun 09, 2012 07:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASABLUE (Post 845433)
Leagues should be permitted to create any of their own rules they want. They pay to play. As umpires we are required to know the different league rules. That's why we get paid the big bucks, right? Remember the teams are our clients- we serve their needs , not the other way around. Oh, and as for having different rules in the same game- AL has a DH and the NL does not.

That's true, but there is no requirement that we umpire those leagues.

And yet, when MLB plays interleague the visting team has to play by the umpire's rules, right? ;)