The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Question Substitution Rule

I have misplaced my ASA Rule Book and of course, you can't get one online so I need some guidance. Can someone explain to me the substitution/pinch runner rule? We are currently in our end of season city tournament and I watched the team that we play next last night. During their game, they substituted their power hitters each inning with a fast runner, and then re-entered the hitters the next time they came up. Is this legal? I saw it at least 5 times. The rule in our league is one pinch runner per game unless otherwise agreed upon by the opposing team. What is the rule for substituting in this capacity and a players re-entry into a game. I need to be ready for this should it come up tomorrow night.

Thanks - Joey
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone20
I have misplaced my ASA Rule Book and of course, you can't get one online so I need some guidance. Can someone explain to me the substitution/pinch runner rule? We are currently in our end of season city tournament and I watched the team that we play next last night. During their game, they substituted their power hitters each inning with a fast runner, and then re-entered the hitters the next time they came up. Is this legal? I saw it at least 5 times. The rule in our league is one pinch runner per game unless otherwise agreed upon by the opposing team. What is the rule for substituting in this capacity and a players re-entry into a game. I need to be ready for this should it come up tomorrow night.

Thanks - Joey
Each player, starter or sub, may re-enter once.
The "power hitter" can be replaced on base with a sub/pinch runner and then re-enter. If done a second time, the starter "power hitter" may not re-enter.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

What CecilOne said is true, but you may also have been seeing the use of a legal courtesy runner for pitcher and catcher; not just substitutes with re-entry.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Also, the "base bandit" is legal under some jurisdictions. This weekend, I saw one substitute to run for three players in one inning. (Kept getting home, took a drink of water, then re-entered the game for the next batter).
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftone20
The rule in our league is one pinch runner per game unless otherwise agreed upon by the opposing team.
Sounds like you may have a local rule that supercedes the ASA rule.

The ASA rule has been noted by Cecil and Steve.

If your league is batting 9, and following standard ASA substitution rules, and the "power hitters" are not the pitcher or catcher, then a "pinch runner" is merely a normal subsitute and the "power hitter" leaves the game.

The "power hitter" may re-enter, but if pinch run for again, she may not re-enter after that.

Also, the same pinch runner may not be used for 2 different offensive players. The substitute (pinch runner), if re-entered, must re-enter in the same position in the batting order, which means if used as a pinch runner again, must pinch run for whoever is in the position in the batting order where she pinch ran before (which would, presumably, be the same "power hitter").

Also, if these "pinch runners" are re-entered on defense, the player they subbed for by pinch running must not be in the game (because you cannot have two players occupying the same batting order position at the same time).

Now, if either of these "power hitters" are the pitcher or catcher, they can use a courtesy runner for them. The courtesy runner is not considered a substitute and the player she is running for is not considered to have left the game. However, the courtesy runner must be an eligible substitute who has not yet been in the game, and the same courtesy runner may not be used for both the pitcher and catcher.

Hope this helps.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
What CecilOne said is true, but you may also have been seeing the use of a legal courtesy runner for pitcher and catcher; not just substitutes with re-entry.
But Mike said not to supplement the answer with tangential info.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
So, who on this board listens to Mike?
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Assuming fast pitch.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Assuming fast pitch.
Guilty, Unless Otherwise Stated

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
TANGENTIAL?????

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
TANGENTIAL?????
Outside of WV, that means having the aspects of a tangent.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Outside of WV, that means having the aspects of a tangent.
Is that like some line off in another direction??????