The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Here in Australia we have a product called "Softball Rules!" (since 1998) which is the complete Australian Softball Federation (ASF) Offical Rules of Softball, Points Of Emphasis and over 700 Case Plays in a Windows Help file format.

The ASF Offical Rules are really the ISF Rules - so the product does sell to other countries (but not to the USA becuase you have so many rule variations across ASA, NCA, Pony, Babe Ruth, etc etc etc)

I have a software development agreement in place with the ASF and ISF to do this because ISF owns the copyrights to The Offical Rules of Softball (btw, ISF gets a royalty for each copy sold). ASF & ISF are in charge of marketing, ASF is the retailer, the company I work for is the product prodcuer and I am the author who collated the whole thing and marked it up with over four thousand hyperlinks. The way it is done allows you to read the rule, case and POE side-by-side. I use it a lot and havn't scored less than 90 on my annual exam since I started using it.

The reason I developed it was in support of an umpire training CD I have been working on since 1996. The CD has over 30 lessons on umpiring basic and intermediate skills (not just mechanics), using digital video and animations (over 200 animations so far). I have seen the other CD's that are available from the USA and frankly, I think when I finally finish it all, most will not bother with the imitations that are out there. I don't use the word 'imitations' lighlty - my CD was given it's first public concept demonstration at ISF congresses and Women's World Chapionships (Japan) between 1997 and 2000. (so anyone involved with the other products, don't come screaming copyright infringemnt at me!!)

I just might finish it one day if a certain software company can stop making changes to each relase of their operating system and I can find the time between eating, sleeping and umpiring!!!

If you are interested in looking at the "Softball Rules!" product, a demo version is avialable from:
http://www.softballact.org.au/rules.htm

The demo contains Rule 4 (we chose this one for the demo because it contains the DP/DEFO rule) and a few of the POE and Cases.

Please try it and let me know what y'all think of it - either back here or email me.

Martin
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Welcome Martin Turnbull,

I've only seen you over on the Fastpitch Forum, glad to see you here! I'll be checking out the Softball Rules.

Thanks!!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Elaine "Lady Blue"

Welcome Martin Turnbull,

I've only seen you over on the Fastpitch Forum, glad to see you here! I'll be checking out the Softball Rules.

Thanks!!
Hi Elaine,

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been hanging around here and elswhere for a while, mostly listening; always learning.

Been here since June, as well as eTeamz, but over at the FPF for about 4 years - but NOT at McGriffs for the same reason you left, I didn't start when I found it a couple of years ago!

Martin