The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Fed online test

Our organization will taking the Fed softball test online this year and I can't get any specifics from the state (MD) as to the specifics. I know some of you have already done this. Can you take it over a series of days, each time picking up where you left off, or is it a one setting situation? How many times can one take it to achieve the minimum score? (I know, I know...how could you not get a minimum score on an open book test?) I just need to give our members some idea.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2011, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Our organization will taking the Fed softball test online this year and I can't get any specifics from the state (MD) as to the specifics. I know some of you have already done this. Can you take it over a series of days, each time picking up where you left off, or is it a one setting situation? How many times can one take it to achieve the minimum score? (I know, I know...how could you not get a minimum score on an open book test?) I just need to give our members some idea.
Less than 30 minutes ago, I was told by our state NFHS Rules Interpreter/UIC that the test is not yet available on-line.

If there are people already taking the test for 2011, I have to assume this is a state option and controlled.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

The test becomes available Saturday for those local organizations in Maryland that opted to take it online this year. I just wanted to get an idea what it was like so I could pass it on to our members.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
You can stop and start any number of times and save it to resume later. It is just like the hard copy test where you have one shot to pass. An open book test that somebody can't score a 80%, I would think they shouldn't be on the field umpiring anyway. Dave
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Jimmy - we have taken the test online in AZ for the last two years.

Hopefully, this will provide some information for you based on my experience.

You have from the time the test opens until the time it closes to complete it. You can close it and reopen it as many times as you want within that window. Make sure that you save whatever you do at a certain session so that it will be there when you come back.

Once you hit "submit", that's it....you are locked in with the score you earned. The Crappy thing is that you will get your score immediately, but you cannot find out which questions you missed until after the testing date is closed. It will tell you that the question(s) you missed refer to rule XXX, but without knowing the specific question, it's not very useful. In AZ we allow one retake with pencil and paper if you did not make a minimum score and want to try again.

My experience has been that everybody that takes the test gets the same 100 questions, but in a different order. It's still some of the same poorly written FED questions as always, but there is unfortuneately, no way to challenge them.

One of the nice features is that you can "flag" questions for review and move on in the test. I usually go through the test and answer questions I am certain of and flag anything that I want to look up and come back to. I have found it takes me about 1 - 2 hours total to take the test.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Make sure you study up on score keeping, pitcher of record and being the fashion police. Last year there were a ton of those questions on the test.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

All,

Thanks for the info. Shipwreck says the test is a one shot deal, but our site instructions say that if you don't get the minimum score (75% in Maryland) then you can/need to retake it. Didn't know if there were multiple retakes. But I agree that anyone who can't make a 75% on a open book test..... Hey also as far as retakes go what if I make a 94% but want to shoot for something better (I can be obsessive sometimes)? Anyone know about that?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Make sure you study up on score keeping, pitcher of record and being the fashion police. Last year there were a ton of those questions on the test.
OK, I'm glad they included all that useful stuff. Why bother with dead ball, base running, appeals and stuff like that.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
(I can be obsessive sometimes)? Anyone know about that?
Yes.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2011, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
The scorekeeping and pitcher-of-record questions were there last year because those were Rule Changes in 2010. This year, be sure to study the new lineup penalties, glove rules (yellow markings), and the other new rules and POEs.