View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 13, 2002, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

There will be at least two pieces of legislation introduced next month at the ASA's National Convention to change the code regarding the number of game umpires.

One piece will just change ALL SP games to two-umpire games. The other will change ALL games to two-umpire games. The latter would also increase the pay for those umpires to $25 per umpire.

I offered that this would not be effective in some levels of the game. Imagine a base umpire covering third on a steal play in SP.

I understand that getting umpires can be a problem as many locals just don't want to work NC games when a local tournament or league is paying that much more. This probably irritates those of you who believe just getting to work a NC is enough, but it is just they way it is in some places.

Another point is that too many umpires show up and have no idea how to work a 3-umpire system. As far as I'm concerned, that shame should fall on the shoulders of the UIC which nominated the umpire and the umpire themself for not preparing to perform at the highest level of softball.

This will also cut back on the availability of NC slots at levels some umpires still aspire to attain.

I understand what and why this is being suggested, I just don't care for it and think it will hurt the games in which the players expect better umpiring than that which they see locally.

JMHO,