The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Cool Opportunity

I've been asked to serve on Florida's NFHS exam-writing committee for this year. As part of the process, I get to submit ten multiple choice questions to the question pool.

Shoot me your ideas, please! (Even you, HugotoFirst, and any other FL folks.)
Old Wed Dec 01, 2010, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
I've been asked to serve on Florida's NFHS exam-writing committee for this year. As part of the process, I get to submit ten multiple choice questions to the question pool.

This isn't really an answer to your question but more of a gripe. As someone who generally thinks that Umpire tests aren't very well structured, I'm not sure I'll be much help. But instead of the cryptic parsing challenges, I'd like to see multiple choice questions like these.
For all ten the choices are
a) Foul b) Do over c) Fair d) dead ball strike
1. The ball is lined off the bat into third base and then bounces into the dugout
2. The batter swings and is hit in the hand with the ball
3. The batter tries to dodge an errant pitch and the ball glances off the bat coming to rest on the plate
4. The batter swings and hits the ball into the foul pole
5. The batter swings and hits the ball; it comes to rest on the foul line
6. The batter swings and hits the ball, it hits between home first and the pitching plate then bounds between first and second and is first touched by a fielder in foul territory.

It'd be an easy test for anybody who knew the rules and a tough one for anybody who didn't. I'd make it no book and expect high scores.
________
DaemonBabes

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:39pm.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 09:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
This isn't really an answer to your question but more of a gripe. As someone who generally thinks that Umpire tests aren't very well structured, I'm not sure I'll be much help. But instead of the cryptic parsing challenges, I'd like to see multiple choice questions like these.
For all ten the choices are
a) Foul b) Do over c) Fair d) dead ball strike
1. The ball is lined off the bat into third base and then bounces into the dugout
2. The batter swings and is hit in the hand with the ball
3. The batter tries to dodge an errant pitch and the ball glances off the bat coming to rest on the plate
4. The batter swings and hits the ball into the foul pole
5. The batter swings and hits the ball; it comes to rest on the foul line
6. The batter swings and hits the ball, it hits between home first and the pitching plate then bounds between first and second and is first touched by a fielder in foul territory.

It'd be an easy test for anybody who knew the rules and a tough one for anybody who didn't. I'd make it no book and expect high scores.
I like those questions a lot. I might like to see a couple of them read more clearly, but the premise is solid, IMO. You could easily add:
7. The batter swings and hits the ball and subsequently drops the bat while running to first. With the bat in fair territory and not moving, the batted ball hits the bat.

8. The batter swings and hits the ball and subsequently drops the bat while running to first. With the bat in foul territory and not moving, the batted ball comes to rest against the bat.

How about this:

For each of the following, the choices are:

A) Dead ball-foul B) Live ball-strike C) Live ball-batter out D) Dead ball-strike

1. On a 2-2 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's glove where it is caught by the catcher.

2. On a 2-0 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's glove where it is caught by the catcher.

3. On a 1-2 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly to the catcher's mask where it falls to the catcher's glove and is caught by the catcher.

4. On a 1-0 count, the batter swings and makes contact with the pitch. The batted ball rises no higher than the batter's head and then falls where it is then caught by the catcher.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2010, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Ok here goes -

a) dead ball, batter is out; b) dead ball, runner is out; c) just a ball d) dead ball on-deck batter is out

Runner on 2nd base
Pitcher pitches the ball - it hits her leg and rolls between 1st & home plate into foul territory
On deck batter picks up the ball and flips it to the umpire
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for those ideas. You may, no, you will see some of them in my list of ten. Any others?
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthegame View Post
Ok here goes -

a) dead ball, batter is out; b) dead ball, runner is out; c) just a ball d) dead ball on-deck batter is out

Runner on 2nd base
Pitcher pitches the ball - it hits her leg and rolls between 1st & home plate into foul territory
On deck batter picks up the ball and flips it to the umpire
Sounds like you qualify as a FHSAA question writer!
  • C implies that the ball is live in which case none of the answers are correct. - As soon as On-deck batter touches the ball, it is dead.
  • Nowhere did it state that there was a possible play on the runner, so B would not be correct either

See rule 8-6-13
Old Sat Dec 04, 2010, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Argo,
I'm not sure I have any incitful questions to add....But I sure would love to be on the committee that edits the actual wording.
I don't have the numbers, but it seems like every year, there are a few thrown out because they ended up being ambiguous...
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Argo,
I'm not sure I have any incitful questions to add....But I sure would love to be on the committee that edits the actual wording.
I don't have the numbers, but it seems like every year, there are a few thrown out because they ended up being ambiguous...
Hugo,
I hope I can help that situation this year. We were each given part of the question data base with instructions to mark them with a #1 (good question), #2 (needs re-writing), or #3 (throw it out). In my section, I'm proposing about 1/3 of the questions be re-written -- and I've provided "cleaner and clearer" language.
I'll post again after the meeting Tuesday with my observations.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Hugo,
I hope I can help that situation this year. We were each given part of the question data base with instructions to mark them with a #1 (good question), #2 (needs re-writing), or #3 (throw it out). In my section, I'm proposing about 1/3 of the questions be re-written -- and I've provided "cleaner and clearer" language.
The main problem with the real NFHS test is questions with no correct answer or more than one correct answer.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
The main problem with the real NFHS test is questions with no correct answer or more than one correct answer.
That's part of the reason FHSAA writes their own exam.
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hugo,
Great!
Old Sun Dec 05, 2010, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I like those questions a lot. I might like to see a couple of them read more clearly, but the premise is solid, IMO. You could easily add:
7. The batter swings and hits the ball and subsequently drops the bat while running to first. With the bat in fair territory and not moving, the batted ball hits the bat.

8. The batter swings and hits the ball and subsequently drops the bat while running to first. With the bat in foul territory and not moving, the batted ball comes to rest against the bat.

How about this:

For each of the following, the choices are:

A) Dead ball-foul B) Live ball-strike C) Live ball-batter out D) Dead ball-strike.

1. On a 2-2 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's glove where it is caught by the catcher.

2. On a 2-0 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's glove where it is caught by the catcher.

3. On a 1-2 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly to the catcher's mask where it falls to the catcher's glove and is caught by the catcher.

4. On a 1-0 count, the batter swings and makes contact with the pitch. The batted ball rises no higher than the batter's head and then falls where it is then caught by the catcher.
Q1: Given the count, both b and c are correct. b is correct in that it's a strike. c is correct because the batter is out as it's strike 3.

Test writing isn't as easy as it would seem.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

"The batter swings and hits the ball . . ."

How about just the batter hits the ball?

"The batter swings and hits the ball into the foul pole"

How about the batter hits a fly ball that strikes the foul pole?
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 09:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Q1: Given the count, both b and c are correct. b is correct in that it's a strike. c is correct because the batter is out as it's strike 3.

Nice catch. Exactly correct.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

That's an example of what I meant by 2 correct answers, test-taker must guess.