The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Cool Opportunity (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/59950-cool-opportunity.html)

argodad Wed Dec 01, 2010 05:20pm

Cool Opportunity

I've been asked to serve on Florida's NFHS exam-writing committee for this year. As part of the process, I get to submit ten multiple choice questions to the question pool. :cool:

Shoot me your ideas, please! (Even you, HugotoFirst, and any other FL folks.)

youngump Wed Dec 01, 2010 05:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 704369)
I've been asked to serve on Florida's NFHS exam-writing committee for this year. As part of the process, I get to submit ten multiple choice questions to the question pool. :cool:

This isn't really an answer to your question but more of a gripe. As someone who generally thinks that Umpire tests aren't very well structured, I'm not sure I'll be much help. But instead of the cryptic parsing challenges, I'd like to see multiple choice questions like these.
For all ten the choices are
a) Foul b) Do over c) Fair d) dead ball strike
1. The ball is lined off the bat into third base and then bounces into the dugout
2. The batter swings and is hit in the hand with the ball
3. The batter tries to dodge an errant pitch and the ball glances off the bat coming to rest on the plate
4. The batter swings and hits the ball into the foul pole
5. The batter swings and hits the ball; it comes to rest on the foul line
6. The batter swings and hits the ball, it hits between home first and the pitching plate then bounds between first and second and is first touched by a fielder in foul territory.

It'd be an easy test for anybody who knew the rules and a tough one for anybody who didn't. I'd make it no book and expect high scores.
________
DaemonBabes

RadioBlue Thu Dec 02, 2010 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 704399)
This isn't really an answer to your question but more of a gripe. As someone who generally thinks that Umpire tests aren't very well structured, I'm not sure I'll be much help. But instead of the cryptic parsing challenges, I'd like to see multiple choice questions like these.
For all ten the choices are
a) Foul b) Do over c) Fair d) dead ball strike
1. The ball is lined off the bat into third base and then bounces into the dugout
2. The batter swings and is hit in the hand with the ball
3. The batter tries to dodge an errant pitch and the ball glances off the bat coming to rest on the plate
4. The batter swings and hits the ball into the foul pole
5. The batter swings and hits the ball; it comes to rest on the foul line
6. The batter swings and hits the ball, it hits between home first and the pitching plate then bounds between first and second and is first touched by a fielder in foul territory.

It'd be an easy test for anybody who knew the rules and a tough one for anybody who didn't. I'd make it no book and expect high scores.

I like those questions a lot. I might like to see a couple of them read more clearly, but the premise is solid, IMO. You could easily add:
7. The batter swings and hits the ball and subsequently drops the bat while running to first. With the bat in fair territory and not moving, the batted ball hits the bat.

8. The batter swings and hits the ball and subsequently drops the bat while running to first. With the bat in foul territory and not moving, the batted ball comes to rest against the bat.

How about this:

For each of the following, the choices are:

A) Dead ball-foul B) Live ball-strike C) Live ball-batter out D) Dead ball-strike

1. On a 2-2 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's glove where it is caught by the catcher.

2. On a 2-0 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's glove where it is caught by the catcher.

3. On a 1-2 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly to the catcher's mask where it falls to the catcher's glove and is caught by the catcher.

4. On a 1-0 count, the batter swings and makes contact with the pitch. The batted ball rises no higher than the batter's head and then falls where it is then caught by the catcher.

Inthegame Thu Dec 02, 2010 04:33pm

Ok here goes -

a) dead ball, batter is out; b) dead ball, runner is out; c) just a ball d) dead ball on-deck batter is out

Runner on 2nd base
Pitcher pitches the ball - it hits her leg and rolls between 1st & home plate into foul territory
On deck batter picks up the ball and flips it to the umpire:eek:

argodad Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:09am

Thanks for those ideas. You may, no, you will see some of them in my list of ten. Any others?

HugoTafurst Sat Dec 04, 2010 06:38pm

:eek:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inthegame (Post 704806)
Ok here goes -

a) dead ball, batter is out; b) dead ball, runner is out; c) just a ball d) dead ball on-deck batter is out

Runner on 2nd base
Pitcher pitches the ball - it hits her leg and rolls between 1st & home plate into foul territory
On deck batter picks up the ball and flips it to the umpire:eek:

:eek:Sounds like you qualify as a FHSAA question writer!
  • C implies that the ball is live in which case none of the answers are correct. - As soon as On-deck batter touches the ball, it is dead.
  • Nowhere did it state that there was a possible play on the runner, so B would not be correct either

See rule 8-6-13

HugoTafurst Sat Dec 04, 2010 06:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 704369)

Argo,
I'm not sure I have any incitful questions to add....But I sure would love to be on the committee that edits the actual wording.
I don't have the numbers, but it seems like every year, there are a few thrown out because they ended up being ambiguous...

argodad Sun Dec 05, 2010 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoTafurst (Post 705262)
Argo,
I'm not sure I have any incitful questions to add....But I sure would love to be on the committee that edits the actual wording.
I don't have the numbers, but it seems like every year, there are a few thrown out because they ended up being ambiguous...

Hugo,
I hope I can help that situation this year. We were each given part of the question data base with instructions to mark them with a #1 (good question), #2 (needs re-writing), or #3 (throw it out). In my section, I'm proposing about 1/3 of the questions be re-written -- and I've provided "cleaner and clearer" language.
I'll post again after the meeting Tuesday with my observations.

CecilOne Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 705356)
Hugo,
I hope I can help that situation this year. We were each given part of the question data base with instructions to mark them with a #1 (good question), #2 (needs re-writing), or #3 (throw it out). In my section, I'm proposing about 1/3 of the questions be re-written -- and I've provided "cleaner and clearer" language.

The main problem with the real NFHS test is questions with no correct answer or more than one correct answer.

argodad Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 705381)
The main problem with the real NFHS test is questions with no correct answer or more than one correct answer.

That's part of the reason FHSAA writes their own exam.

HugoTafurst Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by argodad (Post 705356)
Hugo,

Great!

Rich Ives Sun Dec 05, 2010 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioBlue (Post 704602)
I like those questions a lot. I might like to see a couple of them read more clearly, but the premise is solid, IMO. You could easily add:
7. The batter swings and hits the ball and subsequently drops the bat while running to first. With the bat in fair territory and not moving, the batted ball hits the bat.

8. The batter swings and hits the ball and subsequently drops the bat while running to first. With the bat in foul territory and not moving, the batted ball comes to rest against the bat.

How about this:

For each of the following, the choices are:

A) Dead ball-foul B) Live ball-strike C) Live ball-batter out D) Dead ball-strike.

1. On a 2-2 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's glove where it is caught by the catcher.

2. On a 2-0 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's glove where it is caught by the catcher.

3. On a 1-2 count, the batter swings and the ball goes sharply and directly to the catcher's mask where it falls to the catcher's glove and is caught by the catcher.

4. On a 1-0 count, the batter swings and makes contact with the pitch. The batted ball rises no higher than the batter's head and then falls where it is then caught by the catcher.

Q1: Given the count, both b and c are correct. b is correct in that it's a strike. c is correct because the batter is out as it's strike 3.

Test writing isn't as easy as it would seem.

greymule Mon Dec 06, 2010 09:32am

"The batter swings and hits the ball . . ."

How about just the batter hits the ball?

"The batter swings and hits the ball into the foul pole"

How about the batter hits a fly ball that strikes the foul pole?

RadioBlue Mon Dec 06, 2010 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 705426)
Q1: Given the count, both b and c are correct. b is correct in that it's a strike. c is correct because the batter is out as it's strike 3.

Nice catch. Exactly correct.

CecilOne Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 705426)

That's an example of what I meant by 2 correct answers, test-taker must guess. :rolleyes: