The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Between games discussion - catcher calling time

Two similar situations here - how do you personally handle?

In both, Runner on 3rd, pitch is the fourth ball, BR has just started jogging to first. R1 is a normal 3-4 step lead-off from 3rd base. Catcher calls time and starts walking to the pitcher.

If you call time when the catcher calls it, say so, the following are not relevant. Personally, I don't - the ball is live, and several teams routinely send the BR to 2nd in this situation, so I'm not going to play defense and kill it.

1) Catcher reaches the mound, still has the ball. R1 starts creeping. Do you call time?

2) Catcher reaches the mound, still has the ball. R1 turns around, still off the base, talking with coach during the apparent time out. F2 gives F1 the ball, still talking, R1 still off base. Do you call time? Do you call an out?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post

In both, Runner on 3rd, pitch is the fourth ball, BR has just started jogging to first. R1 is a normal 3-4 step lead-off from 3rd base. Catcher calls time and starts walking to the pitcher.

If you call time when the catcher calls it, say so, the following are not relevant. Personally, I don't - the ball is live, and several teams routinely send the BR to 2nd in this situation, so I'm not going to play defense and kill it.

1) Catcher reaches the mound, still has the ball. R1 starts creeping. Do you call time?

2) Catcher reaches the mound, still has the ball. R1 turns around, still off the base, talking with coach during the apparent time out. F2 gives F1 the ball, still talking, R1 still off base. Do you call time? Do you call an out?
If the catcher asks for time, I grant it once all playing action has apparently stopped. So, 1) No, because playing action has not stopped. 2) Yes, all action had stopped. I don't care if R1 is off the base if it's apparent that she's back. I'm not sure there's a good rule justification for calling time with a runner off the bag but if you don't call time then I don't see how you can avoid the out in 2b.
________
milf Webcams

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:38pm.
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Why is the coach on the field if you havent awarded time?
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I must have missed something. Why wouldn't there be a coach at 3B?

The missing part is the disposition of the BR. Where was she doing during this?
Old Wed Nov 03, 2010, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, read it as catcher talking to coach with the pitcher at the circle.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

In situtation 2...

Quote:

You might get an out on the LBR...if F2 hands the ball to F1 in the circle and R1 is off the base wouldn't this fall under the LBR?
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Like the others have said, I am not calling time until the action has stopped. If the playing action (advance of BR/R1 has stopped, with no apparent idea of doing anything else), then I will call time.

The catcher in possession of the ball in the circle means nothing as far as the LBR goes. So, there is no violation of the LBR in your second situation.

Now then, what fields are you on where there is a mound in softball?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I'm with youngump....time is not called until playing action has stopped.

1) Playing action has not stopped, and F1 does not have the ball in the circle, nothing to call here...

2)Here is where I will probably generate some disagreement. Once F1 has the ball in the circle and is not making a play on R1 near third, I will call time. Both players (F1 and R1) have stopped playing to have their discussions. You would be justified by rule to call R1 out for a lookback violation, but to me, this is an example of OOO and poor game management.
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Because there's a new rule that allows the offense to have a coach near first base and near third base. Pretty cool, actually - some fields put a chalk box to tell them where to stand, even.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I must have missed something. Why wouldn't there be a coach at 3B?

The missing part is the disposition of the BR. Where was she doing during this?
BR had reached the base somewhat coinciding with the catcher reaching the pitcher - in both cases I don't believe she was going, but in the case where R1 turned around to talk to coach, she was definitely already at first base (since LBR was in my head at this point, I had obviously been watching for that first).

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Like the others have said, I am not calling time until the action has stopped. If the playing action (advance of BR/R1 has stopped, with no apparent idea of doing anything else), then I will call time.

The catcher in possession of the ball in the circle means nothing as far as the LBR goes. So, there is no violation of the LBR in your second situation.

Now then, what fields are you on where there is a mound in softball?
Re: Mound ... point taken.
Re: no LBR ... F2 handed F1 the ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm with youngump....time is not called until playing action has stopped.

1) Playing action has not stopped, and F1 does not have the ball in the circle, nothing to call here...

2)Here is where I will probably generate some disagreement. Once F1 has the ball in the circle and is not making a play on R1 near third, I will call time. Both players (F1 and R1) have stopped playing to have their discussions. You would be justified by rule to call R1 out for a lookback violation, but to me, this is an example of OOO and poor game management.
And exactly what you say on number 2 is what the main discussion was about. 1 of our crowd said he'd call time as soon as it was apparent that BR wasn't going to 2nd. Most of us didn't call time at all in sitch 1, which led to the discussion on sitch 2 - if we're not calling time AT ALL - how do we justify calling time in sitch 2.

Personally, in game and on the field, I did not call time in the first sitch, and R3, after creeping, went back to third. In the 2nd, as soon as R1 turned around, I honored the catcher's request for time, albeit 15 seconds later than it was requested.

That said, I fully acknowledge that these two applications are not internally consistent... hence the post here.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
In this and similar situations, when F2 asks for time I respond with "Not yet", or "No", or "When all play is stopped".

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Re: no LBR ... F2 handed F1 the ball.
Must quit skimming. Bad teacher habit of mine. In all likelihood, though, since F2 had requested time, and before she was granted it, had walked onto the field, I would, as I stated earlier, probably call time when it is obvious that no subsequent action is taking place. In that case, I would not have R1 out, since, from rereading your OP, time was probably called before F2 handed the ball to F1.

Old Thu Nov 04, 2010, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
In this and similar situations, when F2 asks for time I respond with "Not yet", or "No", or "When all play is stopped".

As a rule, so do I. Sometimes, though, they just don't listen.