The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Mahem and Madness in 10U

10u Tournament, NSA Rules:
No outs. R1 on 2B. B2 hits (off her foot in the box—no call) grounder towards 1B. Since no play at 1B, 1B sees runner rounding 3B throws to 3B who is 2/3’s way down 3B line. 3B runs R1 towards 3B.

Meanwhile B2/R2 has reached 3B. 3B throws to SS how is covering 3B. R2 runs into SS who tries to catch ball, SS misses ball which rolls not very far out into LF. R2 rounds bag and proceeds to pass R1 by a few steps, who is now on 3B. R2 goes back to bag. Both R1 and R2 standing on 3B. Both told to “Go” since ball got away from SS. R1 scores and then does R2.

What do you have?
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws7 View Post
No outs. R1 on 2B. B2 hits (off her foot in the box—no call) grounder towards 1B. Since no play at 1B, 1B sees runner rounding 3B throws to 3B who is 2/3’s way down 3B line. 3B runs R1 towards 3B.

Meanwhile B2/R2 has reached 3B. 3B throws to SS how is covering 3B. R2 runs into SS who tries to catch ball, SS misses ball which rolls not very far out into LF. R2 rounds bag and proceeds to pass R1 by a few steps, who is now on 3B. R2 goes back to bag. Both R1 and R2 standing on 3B. Both told to “Go” since ball got away from SS. R1 scores and then does R2.

What do you have?
Apparently, I have bases with arms and faulty umpires, along with baserunners appearing where there had been none before.

For future reference, and to avoid sentences like 3B runs R1 toward 3B - 3B means third base. F5 means the Third Baseman. BR is always BR - and doesn't get a new name (R2 above, I think).

I believe I have DDB-obstruction on F6 when BR runs into her, but I don't know where from this description ... if BR was ON third, how was she running, and where was F6 when BR ran into her? After the obstruction, I have BR out for passing - call should be made immediately. This out trumps the OBS. Then we have R1 scoring. (And I confess this may be totally wrong if I misread any of the crazy nomenclature above).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Sorry. I will try to fix. Thanks for the help -- I just knew I was missing something!

No outs. R1 on 2B. B2 hits (off her foot in the box—no call) grounder towards 1B. Since no play at 1B, F3 sees runner rounding 3B throws to F5 who is 2/3’s way down 3B line. F5 runs R1 towards 3B.

F5 throws to F6 how is covering 3B. B2 runs into F6 who tries to catch ball, F6 misses ball which rolls not very far out into LF. B2 rounds bag and proceeds to pass R1 by a few steps, who is now on 3B. B2 goes back to bag. Both R1 and B2 standing on 3B. Both told to “Go” since ball got away from F6. R1 scores and then does R2.

What do you have?

Last edited by Paws7; Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 10:45am. Reason: Deleted: "Meanwhile B2 has reached 3B." for clarification.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like I translated it right then. OBS on F6. The only confusing part (still) is that it sounds like BR is standing on third base, but runs into F6 - is BR moving or not? Which way? In any case, though, you have obstruction on F6, which is then nullified by the BR passing R1 - BR is immediately out and no longer exists. R1 then scores.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

B2 is just going into 3B.

(I deleted "Meanwhile B2 has reached 3B." which may clarify it.)

Thanks.

Thanks for your answer based on the blabbering mess I provided.

That's what I would have thought also.

Also, I am curious. . .If none of the other happened, except having two runners occupy the same base (which sometimes happens a lot in 10s), is it an automatically called out on the trailing runner, or does the defense have to tag B2?
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

2 runners on a base is not an automatic out, 1st runner to occupy it legally has the base, trailing runner must be tagged.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
2 runners on a base is not an automatic out, 1st runner to occupy it legally has the base, trailing runner must be tagged.
Half right. Trailing runner must be tagged. However, it's entirely possible that the trailing runner is also the first runner to occupy the base legally. The first half of your statement is not true.

Had 3 runners on 2nd once. No out. In fact, had 3 runners on 2nd, F1 with the ball ready to pitch - no out.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks!

It is very helpful to be able to discuss it so I can relay the correct info to the player(parents) so they can learn also.

The ruling on the field was not a thing, because when asked the plate umpire did confer with the base umpire but the BU said he could tell a thing because both teams had on similar color tops and he didn't know who was where. Oh and he added it's 10U who cares. . .
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

My statement was 1st runner to occupy the base legally. In the situation you have provided with 3 runners standing on 2nd, the first runner would not have been legally occupying the base.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
My statement was 1st runner to occupy the base legally. In the situation you have provided with 3 runners standing on 2nd, the first runner would not have been legally occupying the base.
The first runner to occupy a base legally is simply the first runner to occupy a base legally ... not necessarily the one who has "the base" as you said. Runner on 1st tries to make it to 3rd, realizes she's not going to make it. BR is standing on 2nd and was there first (and legally). When R1 comes in to 2nd - the player in jeopardy is now the BR, not R1, even though BR was there first and legally.

The 3 runners on 2nd scenario was a mess, and if the defense had bothered to try to get some outs, R1 (the one that should have gone to 3rd) would have been out if tagged, or BR would have been out if tagged. R2 (from 1st) was the only one who could have gotten tagged and still been safe. Defense could have tagged R1, then BR for 2 outs. If they tagged BR first, the forces go away and they would have to tag R2 (no longer R1) for the out.

But alas, they did nothing. With the ball in the circle and them doing nothing, we had to put R1 on 3rd and BR on 1st. No outs.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
The first runner to occupy a base legally is simply the first runner to occupy a base legally ... not necessarily the one who has "the base" as you said. Runner on 1st tries to make it to 3rd, realizes she's not going to make it. BR is standing on 2nd and was there first (and legally). When R1 comes in to 2nd - the player in jeopardy is now the BR, not R1, even though BR was there first and legally.

The 3 runners on 2nd scenario was a mess, and if the defense had bothered to try to get some outs, R1 (the one that should have gone to 3rd) would have been out if tagged, or BR would have been out if tagged. R2 (from 1st) was the only one who could have gotten tagged and still been safe. Defense could have tagged R1, then BR for 2 outs. If they tagged BR first, the forces go away and they would have to tag R2 (no longer R1) for the out.

But alas, they did nothing. With the ball in the circle and them doing nothing, we had to put R1 on 3rd and BR on 1st. No outs.
So, in that situation it would really depend on what order to tag the runners?
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws7 View Post
So, in that situation it would really depend on what order to tag the runners?
Absolutely. While the force is on, R1 is not on the base legally - so is liable to be tagged, and BR is also not, as she is the trailing runner. But if BR is tagged, the force disappears, and now R1 does not have to advance, making R2 the trailing runner and liable to be tagged out.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 11, 2010, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks!