The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Had a varsity girls game tonight.

43-42 home team. Ball is kicked out to the visitors' shooting guard for a last second shot. Well, there was about 4 seconds or so left.

As soon as the ball left the shooter's hands, I picked up the clock. Nothing but net. I heard the home coach screaming for a timeout, so I granted it immediately - I saw about 3 seconds left on the clock (.1 second clock).

Problem was the visiting team was out on the floor celebrating, and the visiting team's fans (they traveled well) were so loud that my whistle could barely be heard in the gym.

The timer let the clock expire.

I'm amazed at how quickly I got the floor cleared and 3 seconds back on that clock. I also got no argument from either coach, which was a change (you had to be there). Well, actually, the home coach made a half-hearted attempt of trying to get me to call a technical since the visiting team was celebrating on the floor, but he gave that up pretty quickly. The clock did run out, after all -- even though it wasn't supposed to.

Visitors took a 30 after the home team set up for the inbounds play on the far baseline.

Even with the 30, the home team completed a baseball pass to the other free throw line where the girl receiving the pass had an uncontested layup to the front of the goal.

She missed it.

Horn. Visitors win by one.

I was lead in the corner right next to the door. I walked out and my partner was right behind.

What a night. My last game of the season unless I fill in for someone.

Rich
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Better than my game. #1 seed vs. #8 seed, 66-23.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you did a good job of game management.

I have however, heard some on this Forum say that with the lag time of 1 second you would subtract that from what you saw on the clock...therefore you would have put up only 2 seconds on the clock with that reasoning.

I am more inclined to give the team what I have definite knowledge of...3 seconds.

If there were only .9 seconds left and you granted the time-out, and the horn went off...would you subtract the lag time of 1 second, and thus would the game be over?

Dude
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
I have however, heard some on this Forum say that with the lag time of 1 second you would subtract that from what you saw on the clock...therefore you would have put up only 2 seconds on the clock with that reasoning.
Nope, not true. In this case, the official had definite knowledge of what the time was. This is not a normal lag time situation but rather a case where the timer failed to stop the clock at all.

5.10.1 SITUATION B:
A1 travels. Immediately after the official sounds the whistle and signals the clock to stop, he/she glances at the clock and notices there are three seconds remaining in the quarter. However, the timer does not stop the clock and time expires.
Ruling: The referee will direct that three seconds be put back on the clock since he/she had definite knowledge of the amount of time involved.
Comment: Timing mistakes which may be corrected are limited to those which result from the timer' s neglect to stop or start the clock as specified by the rules. The rules do not permit the referee to correct situations resulting in normal reaction time of the timer which results in a "lag" in stopping the clock. By interpretation, "lag or reaction" time is limited to one second when the official' s signal is heard and/or seen clearly. One second or the "reaction" time is interpreted to have elapsed from the time the signal was made until the official glanced at the clock. The additional three seconds which subsequently ran off the clock is considered a timing mistake.

In our play, Rich saw 3 seconds on the clock, so he correctly put 3 seconds back on it.

Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Good job of finding a case play...I'm glad I have been doing it that way.

Now, what about the .9 seconds left sitch? Using that same case play the lag time of 1 second would come into play and the game would be over...correct?

Dude
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

If the same situation existed and the official had definte knowledge, then put .9 on the clock.

If the official blew the whistle, wasn't looking at the clock, the horn sounded, and the official then looked at the clock and saw 0:00, the game would be over

Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
the home team completed a baseball pass to the other free throw line where the girl receiving the pass had an uncontested layup to the front of the goal.

She missed it.

Horn. Visitors win by one.

Ouch.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 08:46am
Jerry Blum

If I understand the way some on this board have interpreted this situation the lag time is actually the time that the official takes to blow the whistle, stop the clock and look at the clock so therefore when they see 3 seconds or .9 secs they have already incorporated the lag time. Therefore set the clock to the time that you have definite knowledge of.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
If I understand the way some on this board have interpreted this situation the lag time is actually the time that the official takes to blow the whistle, stop the clock and look at the clock so therefore when they see 3 seconds or .9 secs they have already incorporated the lag time. Therefore set the clock to the time that you have definite knowledge of.
I'm not arguing that "some on this board have interpreted" it this way. I will suggest that it's the wrong interpretation, though.

Assumption: The official blows the whistle and immediately / simultaneously looks at the clock.

Then -- if the timer stops the clock within 1 second, go with the timer. If the timer does not stop the clock within 1 second, go with what the official saw.

Old Wed Feb 19, 2003, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Cool

The ball was kicked out to the shooting guard? Why didn't you call a kick ball violation? :P