The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 04, 2010, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

This all boils down to game management.

Some umpires are better at it than others.
Some coaches are better at it than others.

If you are a coach and get a horse's patootie for an umpire, just grit and bear it. It's going to happen.

If you are a umpire and get a horse's patootie for a coach, just grit and bear it. It's going to happen.

But in the end, the umpire is the ultimate authority on the field and is responsible for keeping control of the game.

And if coach shows his butt, he will eventually be in the parking lot.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2010, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
COACH !!!! BOTH FEET ON THE CEMENT OR YOU VISIT THE PARKING LOT !!!
If I were a coach in that situation, I would have either step onto the cement and then stood on one foot, or layed on my belly in the dirt with my body in live ball area and both my feet on the cement.

With an ump like this I would not want to be on the field anyway and would just as soon he has to put in the extra effort of having to write up the ejection report and being ridiculed by his association for his overzealous way of handling what he thought was an issue.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2010, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Maybe, but even if there's a player or coach who has that "reputation," there are better ways to handle it than to come out barking.
I wish that were always true, but it isn't. There are coaches and players who intentionally push umpires to the limit thinking it makes it look like they are in control.

Problem is when an umpire finally takes the action that should have been taken games before, the umpire is perceived as the bad guy.

Anyone ever work field #4 in OKC? The dugouts are big enough to park a Ford F150 and still have room form a 25-man roster to sit comfortably. Granted, there is a load of foul territory on that field, but it only takes one play or throw to cause all hell to break loose.

Probably not as much today, but with some of the recently retired UICs, you keep them in the dugout or you are not going to be working on Sunday (or whatever the last day of the tournament is being held). After 3 innings, an umpire stopped the game and walked over to the coach and his sponsor to get the point across. Wasn't a problem from there on out, but the umpire took a load of crap from the players because they believe he was trying to show them up.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2010, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I wish that were always true, but it isn't. There are coaches and players who intentionally push umpires to the limit thinking it makes it look like they are in control.

Problem is when an umpire finally takes the action that should have been taken games before, the umpire is perceived as the bad guy.
Each and every umpire has his/her own method of game management. What works for you may or may not work for me.

But I don't think an umpire needs to come out with guns blazing right off the bat. Screaming only shows a lack of self-control and doesn't inspire confidence or respect. It sets a bad tone for the rest of the game. There's no need for it, and it's unbecoming of an umpire.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=HugoTafurst;694906].....Why make a big deal about it?
This particualr umpire gives you an order (that may be picky or may not, but he is correct), so just do it and shut up...

A) Might have been the way he gave the "order" ?????
B) Never said we did'nt do it.
C) I don't appreciate beng told to "shut up" by anyone.

D) One has to wonder if your demeaner is one of "control"? Perhaps you walk onto the field with the attitude of "I am god the umpire, I shall run this game. You, coach, should feel special that I let you stay" ?. Your response here opens the possibility of that thought process.

Good umpires "manage" a game. They don't "run" the game
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
...Good umpires...
...know the rules regarding dugout conduct. Thanks for the pointers. It means so much coming from someone as knowledgeable as you.
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

I am wondering if you are upset about being asked to get back in the dugout realizing that you are in the wrong and now engaging in cognitive dissonance by dealing with the umps attitude.

I hope in the future you have understood the message and not the messenger and will stay off the field.

I can not understand why coaches think they should be on the field. I am convinced they are also the ones who think it is ok to violate other rules cause it is just an inconvenience to me and well, they should not apply to me cause, you know, my ... does not stink and I am special. WTF?
Old Tue Oct 12, 2010, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post

I can not understand why coaches think they should be on the field. I am convinced they are also the ones who think it is ok to violate other rules cause it is just an inconvenience to me and well, they should not apply to me cause, you know, my ... does not stink and I am special. WTF?
I believe it is because some believe they are part of the game.