The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Official Gear.com changes

Just noticed that ASA has updated the Official Gear website - not only are they now offering some unis for other sports, they actually are now offering - GASP- ASA flex fit base caps!! Its only mesh six stitch base caps, but its a start! Can 'regular' plate and base caps be far behind?? Stay tuned folks!
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Just noticed that ASA has updated the Official Gear website - not only are they now offering some unis for other sports, they actually are now offering - GASP- ASA flex fit base caps!! Its only mesh six stitch base caps, but its a start! Can 'regular' plate and base caps be far behind?? Stay tuned folks!
I wonder how that will impact the uniforms at Nationals. Will those be accepted, or will we still need to wear fitted caps?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I wonder how that will impact the uniforms at Nationals. Will those be accepted, or will we still need to wear fitted caps?
You think they will look inside the caps to see if they are fitted?
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

A lot of the fashion advice giving by the various associations are needed in order to A) have some uniformity among officials without having to constantly call each other before games, and B) keep some of the less well-dressed from completely looking like slobs.

But it seems every association has 2-3 items that they insist on for sheer fashion snobbery. Fitted vs flex-fit hats is one of those for ASA. It doesn't really matter. The only people it matters to are people who are just wanting to invent reasons to decide one official or another is worse than them... aka fashion snobbery.

Had a fellow official get snobby over my football whistle 2 weeks ago. After a good 2-3 minutes of him lording how wonderful his whistle was and how bad mine was, I just said... Can you hear my whistle? He said Yes. I said, Then lets move on, ok?

Rant off.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
A lot of the fashion advice giving by the various associations are needed in order to A) have some uniformity among officials without having to constantly call each other before games, and B) keep some of the less well-dressed from completely looking like slobs.

But it seems every association has 2-3 items that they insist on for sheer fashion snobbery. Fitted vs flex-fit hats is one of those for ASA. It doesn't really matter. The only people it matters to are people who are just wanting to invent reasons to decide one official or another is worse than them... aka fashion snobbery.

Had a fellow official get snobby over my football whistle 2 weeks ago. After a good 2-3 minutes of him lording how wonderful his whistle was and how bad mine was, I just said... Can you hear my whistle? He said Yes. I said, Then lets move on, ok?

Rant off.
Perfect. Set him up with the left, got him with the right.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Which is exactly what ASA had until they succumbed to the pressure of those poor babies working HS and college games whine about having to have two uniforms.

So, instead of just holding to their uniform, they forced every SP umpire who wore the standard uniform to purchase another couple pair of pants if they wanted to umpire outside of their local association.

Quote:
Well, the hat difference can be an issue. To start, I have a couple "flex" hats from ASA Merchandise and they do not fit that well. Mine usually come off in short order because the non-adjustable pressure points caused by the elastic give me a helluva headache. I've never had a problem with the fitted hats except the size differences, but i've found that to be an issue with all companies. Instead of returning it, I just sell it to another umpires with a smaller head (which is just about anybody).

However, the issue with any uniform restriction is the common belief of many americans that "they really don't mean that, I'll just do what I would normally do. Those rules don't really apply to me." Anyone who has ever worked/UIC a tournament with a group of "locals" have encountered these types of issues.

I've run into everything from white spots/swooshes on shoes to black stripes across the ASA on the hat to an umpire wearing at least on US flag on every shirt....and this was at a National. I've asked umpires to let me know if they had all the available uniforms and provided a list which included all ASA options with a simple request that they just tell me what they do not have. This was 4-5 weeks in advance (maybe more). Received no responses concerning the uniform.

When no one responded, I stated that we will use both uniforms including Navy over grey. Still zero replies indicating any issues with the uniforms listed. And when I went to discuss uniforms at the tournament clinic, about four umpires raised their hands and said they didn't have grey pants. Asked them if they got my request for information. They did. I asked why the didn't tell me about the lack of greys and just got shrugged shoulders and a blank look. So, I was relegated to the powder over navy, which isn't a problem for me. Meanwhile, I have another umpire wanting to know what he is going to do with the navy blue shirts he purchased expressly for that tournament. I just pointed him in the direction of the guys who did not raise their hand when asked.

I've seen an umpire blow off an assignment on the Championship Game of a Major national with an excuse of "the local Parks and Rec dept" put a game cancellation message on, so I didn't think anyone would play. And this in spite of being told all decisions would be made at the field.

Someimes it isn't a matter of snobbery, but gaining a manageable position over something which can turn into a problem.
Quote:

Rant off.
Trust me, you couldn't possibly provide more of a rant when it comes to uniforms. What I really don't understand is why the same people who think umpires should be invisible and unnoticed want to have umpires making fashion statements on the field which multiple shirts, pants, jackets, hats, etc.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

I tell ya, IM, I keep forgetting where you are at, but I feel for you!

Around here, we have had very few problems uniform wise. Our assignor a couple of three years back, made the decision - fairly unilaterally, btw, that our local group would be going strictly to gray slacks. Surprisingly, very few complained, and all complied. HOWEVER, we have the problem that in May, 90% of us have some kind of school game, and the NY high school mandates navy slacks, so we had to amend that to navy for 6 pm weekday games for the month of May. (However, there is much scuttlebutt going around that NY hs will be - finally- going to gray slacks very soon.) The same is now applying to the navy tops - our assignor is seriously considering mandating the navy tops also.

But as far as communicating is concerned, this summer I had the privilege of working the opening week of a brand new complex in the Cooperstown area. A couple of days before we supposed to be there, the UIC had sent out the usual pre-tournament schedule/ instructions on finding the place/ finding the lodging email. I took it upon myself to email all the guys working the tournament , basically saying, 'Who here has gray, lets make gray the de facto uniform slacks for the tournament/but still bring your navy..' I literally received return emails from ALL of them within a few hours enthusiastically endorsing the idea. Still had wear the navy once when working with a local that the UIC had to pull in to fill the schedule, but otherwise we all looked real sharp for these people for their first tournament.

Our assignor also had to crack down on a guy who owns a sports uniform/outfitting business who made his 'own' ASA hats and shirts in his shop. You absolutely could tell the difference.....uniform is uniform.....

and if want anal - try doing volleyball.....
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I prefer the powder over navy. Always have and have not been secretive about it. I think the grey is terribly unforgiving and you will need more pairs of pants at any tournament.

However, at this point, I really don't care, I just wish they would pick a uniform and stick with it. We don't need two, three, four or more combinations.

Wait a minute......I would have a problem with navy over navy, that is just outright ugly.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2010, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I just want one uniform for ASA, period. I don't care if it's navy vs. heather grey slacks, or powder vs. navy shirts. Just one uniform, please.

I'll be honest here, I lost money doing this National. 3 pairs of heather grey Fechheimers (on top of the 3 I already owned), a new hat (which is now ruined), two new heather grey ball bags (my choice) and a brand new belt, and I only called 8 games.

Do not take my statement as one of disappointment or criticism of ASA. I don't go to a National with the intention of making money. I go with the intention of doing my best for my local association, my UIC and ASA as a whole. I just wish I didn't have to have an entire section of my closet dedicated to doing so, and I'm sure my financial advisor (read: my wife) wishes the same. Each UIC has different uniform requirements at their Nationals, and that's their prerogative. Whatever they decide, I make sure I have it as soon as possible to beat the rush. But with 4 different possible combinations of uniforms, it gets pretty expensive.

My silver lining is that I know that none of my equipment will go to waste, as I make sure I dress the same when calling local games as I do a National. The players and the leagues for which I call deserve an umpire who respects himself, the profession, and the game. Showing up in navy or grey pants off the clearance rack at Walmart does not convey the same respect. And on that note, in my opinion, Fechheimer makes some damn fine pants. I've called hundreds of games in them, and they've not given me any problems. Even the shirts, when properly maintained, will last. Some of my shirts are 3 or 4 years old, and considering I call 200-250 games per year, that's a decent amount of mileage. I've certainly gotten my money's worth from them.

So no, I'm not stylish out there, but I'm not out there to pick up chicks. I'm there to call ball.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Perfect. Set him up with the left, got him with the right.
Quit right, however I've never used my whistle in a FP-game. I use it only for rugby

For what the uniform-problems may be, overhere we (FP and baseball umpires) get our uniforms from the federation. The tricky part is that we get new uniforms every two/three years. So I have now three sets (plate an base) uniforms that I can't use anymore. Everytime the federation send us new ones the collour and design are complety different. Then the softball and baseball umpires don't want to look the same, so everytime there's a discussion going on how we can have the same uniform and still look different. Mostly it's in diferent collour of pants and the T-shirts underneath... (Oh yeah, in Europe mostly the national federations have baseball and softball in one. In France it's baseball, softball and cricket in one federation.)

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?

Last edited by Dutch Alex; Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 02:10am.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Let's just go back to the old days and wear the "postal worker blue" Elbeco shirts with the old badge style ASA Umpire patch on the left sleeve.

On second thought maybe not such a good idea. Somebody at ASA Official Gear will see it as an opportunity to market ASA "throwback" umpire shirts.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 11:37am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Let's just go back to the old days and wear the "postal worker blue" Elbeco shirts with the old badge style ASA Umpire patch on the left sleeve.
I have two in my closet still!
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I believe I still have four!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Sheesh, I only kept one for nostalgia's sake...

Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Its only mesh six stitch base caps, but its a start! Can 'regular' plate and base caps be far behind?? Stay tuned folks!
You mean that a six stitch isn't a regular plate cap????

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.